We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary suggestions

Murrells Inlet...
Level Contributor
33 posts
25 reviews
Itinerary suggestions

Hello All!

Solo female traveler departing for Kathmandu this weekend for 2 weeks. I am not a trekker, so just going to see sights, eat food and relax. I like a little adventure, people watching and seeing neat things. I've done a fair amount of research, but I'm looking for suggestions on - the 'order' of things that would put me in close proximity to where I'm staying and/or other 'things' on my list as to maximize time and minimize taxi/transportation costs. I'm also open to any must see/do/eat places not on my list. Bonus if someone can find me a pinball machine to play.

My arrival/accommodations:

Arrive 7 AM on 10/15

10/15-10/17 - Hyatt Regency

10/17-10/20 - Kopan Monastery (not looking to leave Monastery during those 3 days)

10/20 -25 - Kathamandap Boutique Hotel in Thamel

10/26 - Depart 5 AM

My 'Must See'

Statue of Peace/Swoyambhunath Stupa

The Garden of Dreams

Capitol Mall

Civil Mall

Kaathe Swyambhu Shee

Bouddha Stupa

Kamaladi Ganesh Temple

Kaal Bhairav Temple

Durbar Square

Pashupatinath Temple

Hiranya Varna Mahabihar

Patan Durbar Square

My 'Must Do'

Central Zoo

Seeing Hands Clinic

Mohan's Tattoo Inn (this will be on the last day)

Chandragairi Hills

Kathmandu Funpark

My 'Must Eat'

Western Tandoori & Naan House

Third Eye Restaurant

French Bakery

Blueberry Kitchen & Coffee Shop

Yummy Lhafing Center

Sky Cafe

Naulo Restaurant

IceKraft Nepal

Would love any suggestions on things I've missed or things that I can/should leave off. I'd also love suggestion on where best I could exchange currency. I had heard that airport 'might' be an option as far as having decent rates. I'm not sure if they will be open that early, so any suggestions close to the Hyatt would be appreciated as that will be my first stop. I will be paying for my VISA in USD and had considered using a $50 USD bill so hopefully the could return my change in NPR to get me started. Transport is being provided from the airport by my hotel so no need to have taxi fare on hand right out of the airport.

10 replies to this topic
Murrells Inlet...
Level Contributor
33 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Itinerary suggestions

Side note, I'm also curious about temperature and attire. I have packed light pants and tank tops/t-shirts with a sweater or 2 for the evening and flip flops/tennis shoes. I see the forecast has highs in upper 70's and lows in the high 50's, but I'm unsure of the 'real feel' with humidity. I'm coming from SC where humidity today was near 100% and it was uncomfortable to be outside.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
2,669 posts
106 reviews
2. Re: Itinerary suggestions

Hyatt is a bit far from things, especially money changers (hotel will change, but I doubt their rate is decent). So change a little more at airport. Taxis waiting at Hyatt will love you expecting higher fares (unless, hopefully, Hyatt provides free shuttle into Thamel). Hyatt IS fairly close to Pashupatinath.

You have numerous "places" to visit that seem, well, out of the ordinary:

Capitol Mall

Civil Mall

Central Zoo

Mohan's Tattoo Inn (this will be on the last day)

Kathmandu Funpark

Why the above?

Tatoo Inn? What's that? Hopefully you're not thinking of getting a tattoo in Kathmandu? (YIKES!)

Murrells Inlet...
Level Contributor
33 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: Itinerary suggestions

Malls - I enjoy shopping and people watching. I believe one of the restaurants I want to visit is either in or very near Civil Mall

Central Zoo - I love zoos and animals and I make it a point to visit one if one is available in every city/country I visit. They tend to be relaxing and a great place to people watch as well. You'd be amazed, this one time, in Honduras, I was invited to shove my hand into a raw chicken and then stuff my hand into a full grown lion's mouth. You just don't get that kind of experience in US zoos.

Kathmandu Funpark - CNN rated the 'Wheel of Misfortune' Ferris wheel there as one of the 7 scariest theme park rides in the world. That has my name all.over.it.

Mohan's - Some people collect shot glasses and key chains when they travel - I collect tattoos. I do know to take precautions in cleaning ANY open wound with filtered water only. Aside, Mohan has also opened very highly regarded shops in NYC and has an artist on-hand in Kathmandu with a pretty rad portfolio. Also, see my comments above, I'm a (YIKES!) kind of girl.

Murrells Inlet...
Level Contributor
33 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: Itinerary suggestions

Also, thanks for the tip on exchanging currency, I'll explore the airport and see what I find. I know Hyatt has airport transfer, I can ask about shuttle to Thamel, but I will be staying in Thamel later in my visit. So if there is anything interesting or noteworthy close to Hyatt, I'd love the suggestions.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
2,669 posts
106 reviews
5. Re: Itinerary suggestions

More to worry about than the water. Wouldn't go within 100 metres of a tattoo in Nepal. Just saying....

Each to their own. Good luck!

Edited: 09 October 2018, 15:23
Espoo
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
6. Re: Itinerary suggestions

Shopping malls and amusement parks of Kathmandu...

Your visit to Nepal will certainly be a memorable one.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
30 posts
7. Re: Itinerary suggestions

you must add Pokhara, Chitwan, and Lumbini otherwise you feel boring

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
14,981 posts
56 reviews
8. Re: Itinerary suggestions

Hi Cherrytat

You have some interesting things on your list. A few thoughts:

The Hyatt Regency is within easy walking distance of Boudhanath where there are money changers offering good rates. If you get the change form your 50 in NPR (ask) then no issues and the Hyatt has options for coffee and a bite to eat while waiting for your room. You could head to Chabahil Stupa while waiting.

Kopan monastery is a great place to stay but if you did want a leg stretch and a change of scenery there is a pleasant walk to the temples at Gokarneswor. It takes less than an hour, passes through a local park along a forested ridge and the temples are very interesting - dedicated to Shiva with cremation ghats (though these are little used) and lots of statues 0 an A to Z of Hindu gods. The trail is easy to find opposite the entrance to Kopan and it pass another gompa which is worth a visit, if open.

I'm not sure of an optimal itinerary but...

Boudhanath and Pashupatinath are close as are Chabahil and Gokarneswor and could visited during the two days at the Hyatt, in a variety of combinations.

For the five days in Thamel:

Swayambunath, KTM Durbar Square (including Kaal Bhairav Temple), Kaathe Swyambhu Shee and the Garden of Dreams could be seen in a day (though you could go to GoD at any time while staying in Thamel - it's a good place to duck out of the hustke and bustle of Thamel and the rest of KTM so maybe worth more than one visit.

The two shopping malls might be worth visiting on the same day and I would also go to Indra Chowk and Asan Tole for a contrast. Kamaladi Ganesh Temple could be fitted on to make a change too.

Patan Durbar Square (include the museum, it's surprisingly good), Hiranya Varna Mahabihar (also known as The Golden Temple) as well as Mahaboudha Temple and one or more of the Ashoka Stupas lend themselves to a full day together.

Chandraghiri Hills will take most of a day.

That leaves a day for the fun park (I know nothing about it) and the zoo (but if you love animals don't go) and Mohan's. There are many ways to organise seeing all of these places and others will suggest a different order.

I do not know many of your 'must eats' but I have long avoided the tired Third Eye tourist trap.

scoodly

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
2,669 posts
106 reviews
9. Re: Itinerary suggestions

Agree with Scoodly, ASAN TOLE (a street) definitely recommended for a shopping (and people watching) experience!

We do differ with Scoodly in that we've had several excellent meals at the Third Eye (but yes, it is pricier than most other restaurants).

Murrells Inlet...
Level Contributor
33 posts
25 reviews
10. Re: Itinerary suggestions

Thank you so much for your kind replies and suggestions!

Reply to: Itinerary suggestions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kathmandu