We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money exchange

6 posts
Money exchange

Is it safe to exchange money from money exchangers in Thamel Kathmandu?

24 replies to this topic
Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
14,947 posts
56 reviews
11. Re: Money exchange

It's good that Willem got the best rates in the hotel but this cannot be relied upon - check what is offered against rates elsewhere.

scoodly

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
3 reviews
12. Re: Money exchange

It is also my experience that around Bouddhanath the rates are the best . beside what some hotels can offer .

13. Re: Money exchange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 14 October 2018, 22:30
Edited: 14 October 2018, 22:30

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
14,947 posts
56 reviews
14. Re: Money exchange

There are banks around Boudha and I wiuld be very surprised if the money changers offered better rates (and be interested in the rationale). If changing at Boudha, it will be easy enough to comapare the rates on offer.

scoodly

Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
15. Re: Money exchange

Just following on from this is it best to take cash in home currency (aud) or take eftpos card and withdraw at the bank exchange?

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
14,947 posts
56 reviews
16. Re: Money exchange

Hi

Taking AUD and exchanging at banks will probably be the cheapest conversion method. That said, I do not the exchange rate offered by your card are what (if any) charges the card provider levies for overseas withdrawals from ATMs. That's worth checking with the card provider. Note that ATMS in Nepal typically charge 400/500 NPR per withdrawal with a maximum withdrawal in the range fo 15000 to 35000 NPR.

scoodly

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
100 reviews
17. Re: Money exchange

This information is very helpful. I will be bringing Australian dollars...just confirming that the biggest notes (100AUD) will get the highest rate?

Tgank you.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
14,947 posts
56 reviews
18. Re: Money exchange

Hi

Some banks do offer better rates for higher denomination notes. A couple of examples: Himalayan Bank on Tridevi Marg did not earlier this year did not but the Tourism Development Bank did (both in Thamel).

No experience of this at money exchangers but others have reported better rates with higher value notes.

scoodly

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
576 posts
19. Re: Money exchange

Post 15 & 17 many Aust Trekkers regularly report AUD is fine, even for the airport visa ($50 plus $10 and $5). For typical tourist stays of 2-6 weeks take about 80% of expected expenses in cash, change at bank for best rate or slightly less at money changer but overall better than ATM as you may be charged fees and less rate resulting in about 7% less. Use two different cards as ATMs often reject them and note max withdrawal is about USD $ 350 for most ATMs however the Ktm Guest house lodge is reported to have a $1250 withdrawal so saves on fees.

Take $100 and some $50 notes which should maybe get slight better rate but reduces carrying bulk on trip over in your money or neck pouch.

Fremantle, Australia
2 posts
20. Re: Money exchange

HI

when you say can have a higher rates with bigger notes you mean 50€ or 100€?

have another question: can i for exemple ask to change 50€ with a 100€ note and get back 50€ note back?

(hope i been clear)

thanks in advance, find this forum really usefull ;)

i'll arrive in Kathmandu in middle november

Reply to: Money exchange
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted