We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money exchange

6 posts
Money exchange

Is it safe to exchange money from money exchangers in Thamel Kathmandu?

24 replies to this topic
Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
15,775 posts
56 reviews
39 helpful votes
1. Re: Money exchange

Yes. Few problems are reported on forums like this. However, you still need to keep your wits about you. I suggest working out how many rupees you will get before going in: rates are posted on boards outside or in the window, maybe use your smartphone.

The rate can be negotiated for larger amounts thought the best rates are available at banks.

This assumes you are exchanging a 'convertible' currency and not INR.

scoodly

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
56 posts
10 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: Money exchange

Dear naim m,

Welcome to Nepal in advance. Please rest assured that the money exchanges in Kathmandu valley especially Thamel are 100% safe. Hope you will enjoy your Nepal stay.

Best regards,

Gokarna, Nature Lovers Treks

1 post
3. Re: Money exchange

hi,

What do u mean by convertible currency? Is INR not allowed for exchange or we get bad rates? can u pls explain in detail?

Thanks.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
15,775 posts
56 reviews
39 helpful votes
4. Re: Money exchange

Convertible currency means though that Nepal's central bank quotes rates. The INR is convertible in this sense and the exchange rate is fixed at 1 INR to 1.6 NPR.

Not all money exchangers will convert at this rate though because there is no profit n it for them. You might have to shop around.

scoodly

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
176 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Money exchange

Hi

You exchange money through money exchangers or from bank it won't be any problems however a exchangers have a slightly less rate than bank doesn't but if you compare the time you have to spend while exchange going in bank than you can consider with it.

Happy holiday! G

New England
Level Contributor
199 posts
63 reviews
28 helpful votes
6. Re: Money exchange

I originally exchanged money at the airport, but the second time around I did it at my hotel. The exchange rates were very reasonable.

Level Contributor
17 posts
38 reviews
10 helpful votes
7. Re: Money exchange

Hi

I'm off to Kathmandu next week, arrive Sunday and then off to remote areas on Monday morning so need change money fairly straight forwardly.

Can anyone local/recently visiting advise on the place with the best rates to go to exchange some GBP? (ideally somewhere specific not just in Thamel generally). I don't mind visiting a bank but I don't think they open on Sundays?

My hotel is in Lazimpat. Google maps isn't too helpful.

Thanks

Edited: 14 October 2018, 08:18
Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
15,775 posts
56 reviews
39 helpful votes
8. Re: Money exchange

Hi

Sunday is a standard working day, Saturday is the day of rest, so I think the banks will be open. Himalayan Bank on Trdievi Marg, Thamel is the easiest to find - it's in the same building as Fire & Ice. Exchange rates differ very marginally between banks but you could check their website, many list exchange rates. Some banks offer higher rates for larger denomination notes - £50. Himalayan did nto earlier this year but Tourism Development Bank did - it has a branch in Thamel, I can't remember the exact location but it did show on google maps last time I checked.

If they are not open on a Sunday the money changers will be - you will see plenty of them in Thamel, a few in Lazimpat.

scoodly

Espoo
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
9. Re: Money exchange

For some reason exchange kiosks in Boudanath seem to have slightly better rates than those in Thamel. Maybe because there are more Tibetan businessmen exchanging money there, and usually larger amounts. Thamel has mostly tourists only and average transactions are small.

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,710 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Money exchange

I got the best rates at my hotel in Lazimpat 135rp for 1€.

Edited: 14 October 2018, 18:16
Reply to: Money exchange
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted