We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Debit Card of Indian Banks accepted at Nepal

Bhubaneswar, India
1 post
Debit Card of Indian Banks accepted at Nepal

We wish to travel soon to Nepal . I want to know

(1) Are Debit Cards (VISA or VISA Electron) issued by Indian Banks accepted at Hotels & ATMs in Nepal?

(2) How much cash be allowed to carry from India? Are New Indian 500, 2000 notes accepted?

30 replies to this topic
Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
14,953 posts
56 reviews
1. Re: Debit Card of Indian Banks accepted at Nepal

New 500a and 2000s are not accepted yet.

Level Contributor
418 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: Debit Card of Indian Banks accepted at Nepal

ATM accept the VISA cards. There is no restriction on the cash amount although

many places are reluctant to accept Indian rupees at all so better brings cards and withdraw nepalese currency from ATM.

Lot of people here are left with old indian 500 n 1000 rupee notes unable to exchange that when declared illegal overnight. So people are not sure about the Indian currency.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
14,953 posts
56 reviews
3. Re: Debit Card of Indian Banks accepted at Nepal

Hi

As I understand it the maximum amount of INR that can be brought into Nepal is 25,000 (sorry, can't remember the source of this info).

scoodly

Kathmandu Valley...
13 posts
4. Re: Debit Card of Indian Banks accepted at Nepal

All Major Indian Banks debit/Credit card accepted here . Nepal SBI accept SBI india without any extra charges and Everest Bank Nepal will accept PNB card charge ₹250 per withdrawal

5. Re: Debit Card of Indian Banks accepted at Nepal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2017, 21:04

1 post
6. Re: Debit Card of Indian Banks accepted at Nepal

hello...sbi paywave debit card so i withdraw my money in nepal????

Akola District...
1 post
7. Re: Debit Card of Indian Banks accepted at Nepal

We wish to travel soon to Nepal . I want to know

(1) Are Debit Cards (VISA or VISA Electron) issued by Indian Banks accepted at Hotels & ATMs in Nepal?

(2) How much cash be allowed to carry from India? Are New Indian 500, 2000 notes accepted?

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
14,953 posts
56 reviews
8. Re: Debit Card of Indian Banks accepted at Nepal

Hi

1) Some Indian cards are marked as not for use in Nepal but other Indian posters have reported that at least some of these do work. Many hotels do accept payment by card, the cheaper the hotel the less likely it is to accept payment by card.

2) 25000 INR per person is allowed to be taken into Nepal. The new 500s and 2000s are now allowed and can be exchanged in Nepal.

scoodly

Kathmand
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Debit Card of Indian Banks accepted at Nepal

Hi, Yes Visa/Master Card easily acceptable here in Nepal.

Even we have SBI Banks here in Kathmandu.

For your ease 100IC is easily acceptable here.

Also few money exchange will accept the Ic's as well. But I suggest you to get few Dollars from India and Exchange here in Nepal.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
14,953 posts
56 reviews
10. Re: Debit Card of Indian Banks accepted at Nepal

I am surprised that it is suggested to exchnage INR to USD to NPR because all this does is lose money on extra exchange costs. Many Indians have posted on here that INR are easy to spend and exchange in Nepal, I have not seen anyone post about difficulties.

scoodly

Reply to: Debit Card of Indian Banks accepted at Nepal
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted