We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchanging between AUD and NPR

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
Exchanging between AUD and NPR

Hi all!

I am off to Nepal in just over two weeks time and am finding it hard to get my money exchanged.

I prefer to get this done prior to travelling but it seems there is only one bank (or place in general) that I know of that will buy NPR and the exchange rate is terrible.

I need to still buy my visa and don't want to arrive in Nepal with no local currency.

What have you done in the past when travelling to Nepal, or what would you advise to do?

Also, I hear returning into Australia with NPR is frowned upon, and that I should get my money exchanged back to AUD prior to leaving Nepal. If anyone has more information on this please let me know!!

Espoo
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
1. Re: Exchanging between AUD and NPR

Do NOT try to exchange our money into NRs before getting onto Nepal, and more precisely, before getting to proper bank or exchange kiosk in Thamel! There is absolutely no need to do that and you loose a lot because of the bad rates it you insist doing it regardless.

The way it goes: you land at the Kathmandu airport and pay your visa with western currency, NRs is not accepted. If you are paranoid about not having any Nepalese currency, exchange a small amount (maybe $20) at the exchange kiosk at the arrivals hall, where the rates are about 10% less than in the city. This is plenty enough to get you to your hotel. If you are not paranoid, you can pay the taxi with whatever western money you happen to have (small notes). When in Thamel, do the exchange by comparing rates in a few places and bargaining for better rate if exchanging larger amounts like $500 or more.

Nepali Rupee is not a freely exchangeable currency and it is illegal to take it in or out of the country. That is why it is not exchanged outside Nepal, and if is, rates are truly bad. Sometimes tourists make a mistake of taking some home and are ready to exchange it at a good rate, you see those notes also here. That is the only way to get Rupees cheaply before your trip.

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
2. Re: Exchanging between AUD and NPR

as said take AUD cash which can be used to pay for visa and then exchange it in Thamel at any of the exchange places

change enough to last for all the time you are in Nepal

spend it all before you leave or change it back again or keep it for the next trip

it is all easy and straightforward

lots of Aussies and Aussie dollars in Nepal so it is well known

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
3. Re: Exchanging between AUD and NPR

great, thank you so much for your help!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
4. Re: Exchanging between AUD and NPR

Thanks so much for your extensive information! so helpful. great, i can stop stressing now! :)

Cumbria
Level Contributor
6,029 posts
43 reviews
5. Re: Exchanging between AUD and NPR

Good info already posted

You might find it beneficial to exchange a few Australian $’s into US $’s as Visas on arrival are priced in US $’s and then the price is converted into other hard currencies – But the exchange rate given by Nepali immigration is poor, so you will get a much better one from your bank in Australian.

You can then use a $5 US bill to get a taxi from the airport to your hotel and then exchange the rest of your Australian $’s into NPR in Thamel where you will get a better rate that you would at the airport

I have written a walkthrough on arriving at Kathmandu Tribuvan Airport in my Transportation tips in my Nepal blog – Link in my tagline If you want to take a look

Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels

Rob

My Nepal Blog members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/6ec/

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
6. Re: Exchanging between AUD and NPR

absolutely not worth changing any Australian dollars to US dollars

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
7. Re: Exchanging between AUD and NPR

I already have US dollars from my trip to the states last year so this will be fine!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
8. Re: Exchanging between AUD and NPR

This is great information! thank you, ill give your post a read this afternoon. lucky i already have some US dollars so i can just take them with me then, thanks :)

9. Re: Exchanging between AUD and NPR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2016, 15:16