We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EBC insurance for Australians

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
10 reviews
7 helpful votes
EBC insurance for Australians
Save

Hi

Just wandering for the aussies that have done the EBC trek..

Who did you go through for insurance and did it cover for emergency chopper if needed...

Thank you

athome
Level Contributor
784 posts
5 reviews
4 helpful votes
21. Re: EBC insurance for Australians
Save

TRAVEL10 Promo code (-10%) .. with a furlong to run Australia Post ahead by a short neck.

athome
Level Contributor
784 posts
5 reviews
4 helpful votes
22. Re: EBC insurance for Australians
Save

Cover-More (PDS 20 September 2017) and Australia Post (PDS 1 June 2017) are both underwritten by Zurich and General Exclusions appear to be identical.

Australia Post’s current TRAVEL10 Promo code is valid to 26 November 2018

OG Australia
Level Contributor
760 posts
6 reviews
10 helpful votes
23. Re: EBC insurance for Australians
Save

I am finding the whole insurance shtick frustratingly dumb fun...kinda like trying to hit a moving target at the fun fair blindfolded.

Particularly considering I crossed the Thorung la in 91 in snow, uninsured and wearing blundstone lace up work boots worn down from work as nurserymen/gardener....devil may care

...now the devil is in the detail!

athome
Level Contributor
784 posts
5 reviews
4 helpful votes
24. Re: EBC insurance for Australians
Save

Is this a significant difference?

The Benefits

Section 1: Overseas Medical and Dental Expenses

Australia Post and Cover-More share the same wording.

But Australia Post has the additional … “In these circumstances We will also pay the reasonable Additional cost of medically required transportation. “

This sentence is missing in the Cover-More PDS ….. is true “ambulance transportation” might also include donkeys and spaceships.

Australia Post is the winner of this year’s PDS Cup.

Edited: 2 years ago
Michigan, USA
Level Contributor
306 posts
66 reviews
53 helpful votes
25. Re: EBC insurance for Australians
Save

I was using the Web site InsureMyTrip.com last night to do research. I was searching for policies in the US, but the site let's you enter any country of residence and search for available policies. In addition to listing a variety of policies with price and coverages, there is a link to download the policy documents. None of the policies I looked at had a trekking or altitude exclusion (all excluded climbing with ropes, etc...). Also in the evacuation section, all policies said evacuations needed prior approval by a local physician and a policy rep, but some specifically stated approval by the policy could be done as soon as possible if prior approval is not ppssible. I liked that accommodation since in a real emergency on a remote trek, it would be foolish to delay treatment because you can't contact the company. Perhaps all companies allow this accommodation, but only some specifically list it. As for covering delays out of Lukla, some plans said it would cover fees to change flights if you miss a connection due to weather, but the details were so convoluted, I wouldn't assume I would get that coverage without some additional research.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
26. Re: EBC insurance for Australians
Save

Zurich underwriters appears to be much better than Allianz if you look through them all. Even bank credit card complimentary insurance was underwritten by Zurich until about 2015 and since then switched to Allianz and sucks big time.

Howabout checking to see if going Zurich Insurers direct is any better.

Post 25, the earlier account of someone being covered for Lukla flight cancellation May be just a one off scenario and not repeated, who knows.

Edited: 2 years ago
Level Contributor
92 posts
7 reviews
2 helpful votes
27. Re: EBC insurance for Australians
Save

I'm going in January with NRMA. Pretty sure it's a face of Covermore, but in reality there were quite a few Australian Insurers who easily covered EBC. I called them and told them exactly what I was doing and they gave ta green light. And there's nothing in the PDS that excludes standards trekking without ropes and under 6000m.

OG Australia
Level Contributor
760 posts
6 reviews
10 helpful votes
28. Re: EBC insurance for Australians
Save

Finally did this today. CGU travel insurance . Connected to our bank and other domestic insurance policies we take out. No altitude limitation although you must stick to a 'regular' path. Pretty good price.

Air / helicopter evacuation in an emergency.

Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
2 helpful votes
29. Re: EBC insurance for Australians
Save

Hi We are heading to Nepal in January 2019 and I searched all the forums and checked heaps of insurance companies including Global Rescue and World Nomads which are often recommended by trekking companies. Global rescue looked very good and all their negative feedback appears to be by people who did not contact them when they needed support, organised their own rescue and then got their noses out of joint when they were not reimbursed. World Nomads has great feedback but was expensive, almost double to other quotes. I also found a recommendation for Allianz, and found that I could insure 2 people for accident, illness and rescue up to 6000 metres for an affordable price by choosing comprehensive cover and adding the Adventure pack. Hopefully I won't need to find out how responsive they are in a crisis!

30. Re: EBC insurance for Australians

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2019, 16:40
USDUSD
Australia
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.