We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Australian resident - insurance for Everest Base camp trek

1 post
Australian resident - insurance for Everest Base camp trek
Save

Doing EBC trek in November, any suggestions on insurance coverage that is purchased in Australia that will cover the trek?

Oodnadatta...
Level Contributor
813 posts
1. Re: Australian resident - insurance for Everest Base camp trek
Save

it seems to change all the time

use the search box and find the most recent discussions and apply it to you

you are just going on a standard walk so no special conditions apply

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
18,755 posts
63 reviews
49 helpful votes
2. Re: Australian resident - insurance for Everest Base camp trek
Save

World Nomads is a possibility though I'm sure fellow Aussies will have better suggestions.

scoodly

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
3. Re: Australian resident - insurance for Everest Base camp trek
Save

Look up Covermore

OG Australia
Level Contributor
772 posts
6 reviews
10 helpful votes
4. Re: Australian resident - insurance for Everest Base camp trek
Save

Choice Magazine...suggests Good2Go...good price and seems like trekking is covered to altitude as long as there no ropes or suggestion of rock climbing

CGU....the same but a little more expensive and I cannot identify why....what are the extras etc....but covered at altitude...no ropes...on rock climbing

World Nomads does not seem to present different to the above but you must opt into a "sports pack' sorta thing if your above 2000m which adds quite a bit more than above companies in cost

I am next going to look at RACV as I am a member so it is discounted

.....dragging my heels on this as there is no simple identifying principle when reading through product disclosures except for say altitude restrictions unless policy is beefed up. Given our house and car insurance is through CGU I might just go there and offer any problems, if they arise, into the valued long term customer spin.

do let us know if you find some thing!

athome
Level Contributor
784 posts
5 reviews
4 helpful votes
5. Re: Australian resident - insurance for Everest Base camp trek
Save

… pondering the same .. and have added Cover-More (medical only $174) to my current shortlist which also includes Australia Post (basic $184). Zurich are the insurers for both.

OG Australia
Level Contributor
772 posts
6 reviews
10 helpful votes
6. Re: Australian resident - insurance for Everest Base camp trek
Save

Good2go is AUD $109, CGU $160ish.....then the RR R quotes above...I am still not getting a firm grip on what the difference is re Nepal between lower and higher $. There are some aspects that do not match context like the amount of cover for luggage, car hire etc etc

athome
Level Contributor
784 posts
5 reviews
4 helpful votes
7. Re: Australian resident - insurance for Everest Base camp trek
Save

apples, pears, then age, also number of days.

Travel Warning: reading to many PDS and General Exclusions can lead to paralysis.

Here’s hoping someone finds all the answers …. and tells.

OG Australia
Level Contributor
772 posts
6 reviews
10 helpful votes
8. Re: Australian resident - insurance for Everest Base camp trek
Save

Thanks.....you have shaken me out of my torpor......#1 issue: to be covered at altitude....focus on that and commit!

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
52 posts
101 reviews
38 helpful votes
9. Re: Australian resident - insurance for Everest Base camp trek
Save

Voyager, I'm trekking Annapurna. i am Australian, I will probably go with Covermore IF THEY WILL COVER ME FOR ABOVE 5000M. Make sure you read the fine print. I loved EBC and Gokyo, you will too.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
261 posts
35 reviews
32 helpful votes
10. Re: Australian resident - insurance for Everest Base camp trek
Save

Hi Voyager;

I use QBE; no altitude limit so long as you don't use ropes. Full medical evacuation cover but no search and rescue. Oddly, it is cheaper to buy an annual multi trip policy than a one-off.... which works for me but may not for you.

There was a discussion on here a few weeks ago about Oz insurance; I posted a link to a site that compares multiple insurance companies.

Good luck!

USDUSD
Australia
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.