We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 month backpacker's itinerary- Help please

manila
4 posts
1 month backpacker's itinerary- Help please

Hi all,

We are in the process of booking tickets for a one month backpacking trip around India for next year (around summer- June, July or August 2012) and would be very much grateful for help planning our trip. Been reading lonely planet but its all a bit overwhelming- one must really need a lifetime to explore India! We have never been to India before and want to explore as much as possible in one month backpacker style (no plane but taking the train everywhere, thinking of buying an India rail pass). We are planning to book a flight into Delhi or Mumbai and then the flying out from anywhere there is an Airasia service back to Kuala Lumpur (Kochi, Kolkata, Chennai, Bangalore, Tiruch.). Any suggestions please for where we should book our inward and outbound flight? We are wide open to any suggestions but since it is our first visit to India it would probably be best to see as many of the classic India sights. We thinking of spending a few days in one place then take the train to my next destination working our way to wherever my flight leaves from. Also how much should one save for a 1 month backpacking trip in India (excluding flight costs). We are 2 travelers in their mid twenties, fairly flexible, looking forward to hostels, sleeper trains and perhaps the occasional splurge as we work our way around India!

Thank you so much and we looking forward to all your replies=)

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,433 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: 1 month backpacker's itinerary- Help please

Look for "cyberhippie" who contributes on India Forum. He is Destination Expert for bargain travel and had spend a life time himself travelling in India.

Look at www.goneindia.com for more details.

For Indian rail related information you look at www.seat61.com

For train and flight reservation www.cleartrip.com is good site.

deepak

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
171 posts
2. Re: 1 month backpacker's itinerary- Help please

Hi,

First of all, June/July/August are bad months to be touring India ... hot and raining. The best months are Feb/March or Oct/Nov. If u can change ur dates, try to do so.

India has many different attractions ... what are ur priorities ? Nature ? Temples ? Wildlife ? Mountains ? Beaches ?

U can look at flying into Delhi, spend 1 week in Rajasthan (Jaisalmer, Jodhpur, Udaipur), a day in Agra, a couple of days in Khajuraho, 1 week in Goa and finally, 1 week in Kerala. U can fly out with AirAsia out of Kerala.

cheers,

- manish

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,981 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: 1 month backpacker's itinerary- Help please

Since you have only one month, I think it is pretty much a sensible policy to cover the country highlights, the most popular places. Delhi and Mumbai are both interesting. You can visit Rajasthan, Khajuraho and Varanasi. And then you can head south to Kerala and Tamil Nadu. Fly to KL from Chennai, the connections are good.

The monsoons arrive May end/first week of June in Kerala and work their way up the country. Mumbai gets rains by mid-June, and Delhi/Agra/Rajasthan by mid-July or thereabouts. The east coast of the country (Chennai/Tamil Nadu) doesn't get rains in this period. The wildlife sanctuaries are only open upto June 30.

I would suggest travelling in June, so you will not have rains anywhere except Kerala and Mumbai. Yes it will be hot, but at least you'll get some great photography.

Deepa

Edited: 30 May 2011, 15:09
Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,981 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: 1 month backpacker's itinerary- Help please

Therefore the "India highlights" itinerary that I am suggesting for a month is as follows:

- Arrive Delhi (2 or 3 nights) with lots to see

- Train to Udaipur (2 or 3 nights with local excursions by bus outside Udaipur)

- Train to Jodhpur (3 nights with at least 1 night in Gemar Singh's dhani, highly recommended from personal experience!)

- Train to Jaipur (2 nights)

- Train to Ranthambhore Tiger Sanctuary (2 nights, 4 safaris)

- Train to Agra (1)

- Train to Jhansi and bus to Khajuraho (2)

- Train to Varanasi (2 or 3)

- Longish 24hr train ride to Mumbai (2 or 3 nights)

- Train to Goa (3 nights), backpacker paradise? :)

- Train to Ernakulam /Cochin (1 or 2 nights)

- Train to Allepey (2 nights)

- Train to Chennai (2 or 3 nights), including local bus excursions to Mahabalipuram, Kanchipuram and Pondicherry

- Fly to KL

Edited: 30 May 2011, 15:19
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
22 reviews
5. Re: 1 month backpacker's itinerary- Help please

Though it's not the best time to travel, there are a few good reasons to do so: better rates at hotels, less crowded sites etc. Since you've a month, stick to the itinerary suggested by Deepa to experience India at slow pace.

Vivek

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
22 reviews
6. Re: 1 month backpacker's itinerary- Help please

Though it's not the best time to travel, there are a few good reasons to do so: better rates at hotels, less crowded sites etc. Since you've a month, stick to the itinerary suggested by Deepa to experience India at slow pace.

Vivek

manila
4 posts
7. Re: 1 month backpacker's itinerary- Help please

Thank you so much everyone! India sounds amazing and I CANNOT wait! This is the country I am looking forward the most to visiting in all my years of traveling, its only know I've worked up the courage to immerse myself backpacker style. I have lots of faith that India will reward me handsomely=) Will book my flights Dehli-Chennai as suggested and with the guidelines given above. Looking forward to updating everyone on TA on my travel plans/reviews. As for the weather, I'm from a tropical island country and was built for withstanding heat,humidity and of course the occasional flooding=) Thank you again!

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: 1 month backpacker's itinerary- Help please

Strange time of be yr to be going? i'm going in dec-feb 2011, 4-5 weeks in Indian and 2 weeks or so in Bangledesh, very much on a Backpackers budget. i can give you all of the information possible upon my return or you can team up/tag along should you wish?

Speak soon mike

9. Re: 1 month backpacker's itinerary- Help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2012, 14:18