We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Geckos or Intrepid Tours in India

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
93 posts
58 reviews
Geckos or Intrepid Tours in India

I'm looking at booking a tour for my sister to travel in India later this year. I notice earlier last year that there were some TA members about to embark on a Gecko's Tour but couldn't find any other threads about people who had actually been on any Gecko Tours in India.

Has anyone been on these tours? I would really appreciate some feedback. My sister is a budget traveller who is interested in historical and cultural attractions.

I am also considering the Intrepid tours - has anybody had any experience with these? I had a bad experience with an Intrepid tour in Egypt and so did someone else I later spoke with who went on a seperate Egypt trip but I understand that people who have toured with Intrepid in Asia and Europe have enjoyed their experiences so I just wanted to gauge people's experiences of the India options. I would probably be looking at the classic options rather than the "basix".

Thanks in advance.

Lurls

Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Geckos or Intrepid Tours in India

My friends and I went on an Intrepid tour in India in 2007 - I think it was the Gourmet Traveller one.

It was fabulous, and this had a lot to do with our guide. He had a lot of knowledge, and also a lot of contacts so got us into places we wouldnt be able to go on our own.

As females we felt safe at all times and we were looked after wherever we went.

The intrepid tour was less 'touristy' than a lot of others - we got to experience a lot of the culture including staying in a village and eating in local's homes.

The tour we went on was 'comfort' style. So we stayed in lots of amazing boutique hotels - we even stayed in a castle. We felt like royalty the whole time.

I'd definitely recommend an Intrepid tour in India.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
93 posts
58 reviews
2. Re: Geckos or Intrepid Tours in India

Thanks Tezzee,

What areas did that tour you did cover?

Lurls

3. Re: Geckos or Intrepid Tours in India

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 April 2009, 19:37
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
154 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Geckos or Intrepid Tours in India

yes india is filled with different experiences and the land is very diverse with every 50 kms having a differnt dialect and cusine.

What is that interests you ?

If luxury and culture and history then it would be rajasthan with varanasi and khajuraho.

if adventure then Ladakh and Himachal

if ayurveda, yoga and beaches then Kerala.

let meknow if you ahve any questions

Saurabh

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,985 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Geckos or Intrepid Tours in India

Hi

I did the Unforgettable India trip in 2008 with Intrepid.

The tour was excellent, hotels pretty good, but the tour guide was awful his name was Mohsin Ali.

In all fairness to Intrepid the tour was very well planed no hiccups.

I have now been on 3 Intrepid trips and would recommend them highly. I have done one comfort and 2 original, I would say that the original are better value.

Hope that this helps.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
288 posts
81 reviews
6. Re: Geckos or Intrepid Tours in India

I did an Imaginative Traveler trip in Rajastan about two years ago, by my self. The trip was a gift from my wife. It was absolutely great. I think it was Traveler Class. Wonderful people, great itinerary, very good guide. I loved India.

Jim

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
93 posts
58 reviews
7. Re: Geckos or Intrepid Tours in India

Thanks everyone for your advice. Thanks also for the messages.

Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Geckos or Intrepid Tours in India

Off the top of my head the places I recall us going were Delhi, Agra, Bijaipur, Jaipur, Ahmedabad, Mumbai, Goa - there may have been a couple of places in between...

NYeratheart
6 posts
9. Re: Geckos or Intrepid Tours in India

Thanks so much for all the information provided. It has been really helpful. I am in the midst of planning a trip for myself and friends for 14-17 days in August.

I am also interested in hearing reviews about Gecko tours (or other tour companies). Unfortunately, Intrepid and Imaginative tours are already booked during that time!

We are most interested in Rajasthan (Golden Triangle, etc) areas - seeing history and culture.

Thanks in advance! Your help is very much appreciated as we embark on this adventure.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,985 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Geckos or Intrepid Tours in India

I just checked the Intrepid website. August is not booked out for either the Rajasthan nor the Golden Triangle.