We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking rupees into India

London
6 posts
Taking rupees into India

I thought that the Indian rupees was a closed currency and that you couldn't take rupees in and out of India but when I spoke with American Express regarding USD travellers cheques, they said that they can sell me rupees and that it was fine to take rupees in. Is this correct? Can you take a small no of rupees in? Thanks for any advice.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,810 posts
23 reviews
1. Re: Taking rupees into India

Someone may be able to sell you Rupees outside of India, but that does not make it a legal transaction. Even if the selling party is Amex or the World Bank.

This thread should be a good reference for you.

tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g297605-i9001-k2606…

London
6 posts
2. Re: Taking rupees into India

I am so so surprised that an organisation such as Ameriacan Express would inform its thousands of customers that they can buy their holiday rupees in London!

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
4,077 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Taking rupees into India

You can also get rupees from Tesco! But the rate isn't so great.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
154 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Taking rupees into India

Actually some tour companies abroad recieve quotes from ground agents in rupees and quote in local currency after converting the rupees quote at the day ROE.

this is beneficial to you as you get the right price and they way dollar is going up it would turn out to be better.

5. Re: Taking rupees into India

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 22:24