We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety of Female Travelers?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Safety of Female Travelers?

It's been several years since I traveled to India, and lately in the West there has been much news about violence against women and girls happening in India. Has India become increasingly dangerous for women? Or is the fact that these incidents are getting attention a sign that things are improving for women? It's difficult to discern the truth of what the media shares. Thanks for any input. :)

4 replies to this topic
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
943 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Safety of Female Travelers?

Hi Mandy,

Things are getting better for female travellers in India, that is for sure.

And the news in media, if you search on the Internet you will find to be true. Does this mean it is getting worse? No, statistics matter here. Most country have such problems. And media will not talk about stats .

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
202 posts
65 reviews
2. Re: Safety of Female Travelers?

The answers of all your queries is

https://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g304551…

have a look, you will find that how easily she completed her journey and enjoyed a lot. She is also worried but at the end she lost her heart in India.

Do visit India, it's safe. And in case of any emergency you may contact me or any other fellow people in trip-advisor. Definitely everyone here are always ready to help to make this country beautiful and safe.

Delhi
Level Contributor
2 posts
85 reviews
3. Re: Safety of Female Travelers?

India is as safe for Women as most of the other western countries.

Just stick to basic norms for using registered travel agency for taxi, do not fall for cheap discounts etc.

Stay at standard registered accommodation based on your budget + reviews on trip adviser - book with good booking engine on internet.

Drink bottled water (available at every shop) and enjoy the country it has history of 5000+ years.

Wellington
Level Contributor
685 posts
45 reviews
4. Re: Safety of Female Travelers?

On an overnight train trip 2AC my bag was slashed open while it was under a pillow and under my head. I was regularly followed in the street for anything up to 20 mins. Guys pushed themselves into me in queues and made what were probably offensive comments, fortunately I didn’t understand. Getting stared at for extended periods by men is common. I say this because there are lots of people telling you its safe and it’s not always safe, you have to think about risks all the time. Dress conservatively, don’t go out alone at night, avoid big groups of men, and men who want to engage you in ‘friendly’ chat. Don’t travel solo on overnight trains, day trains are fine. You need to be much more aware of your surroundings and who is around you than anywhere else I have travelled. However I’m still planning my next trip to India!

Reply to: Safety of Female Travelers?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted