We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highest Class Train Travel in India with Toddler

Washington DC...
1 post
Highest Class Train Travel in India with Toddler

My husband and I would like to go from either Agra or Delhi to Rajasthan, Gujarat, and through Mumbai and Goa to Hampi and Kerala. We were thinking that two months would be a long enough time for this itinerary. We will also have a three year old with us at that time. My question is about the trains in India. In order to cover larger distances, which overnight trains can we book that have the highest class? And what does the highest class look like? Finally, can trains be booked not far in advance, even ones that wouldn't cover longer distances? I am really struggling on if we have to have everyday for two months planned out or if we can plan as we go. Please advise! Thanks

2 replies to this topic
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
931 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Highest Class Train Travel in India with Toddler

Hi Mam,

You don't need to plan the entire 2 months. It would really mean sticking to the itinerary. As far as train reservations go 1st AC is the highest class of train available. But your train journeys have to be planned in advance. At least it is recommended to plan the north India Journeys. Booking of trains is recommended 60-90 days in advance but these again depends on trains to trains. There are proper websites which let you know the availability and the average number of days you need to consider for a selective train booking

Travel Consultants

selfishtravel

Bhopal, India
Level Contributor
976 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Highest Class Train Travel in India with Toddler

Hi,

In Indian trains, there are some classes: AC1st, AC 2, AC3 and sleeper. AC 1st class is best class, but a little expensive and not all the trains have AC 1st class. Then, we have AC 2 tier, which is second best class and then AC 3 tier, which I think is good, affordable class. See below link to know more about AC 1st class:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ITSRMfPPjg

As you know India is a populated country and traveling by Indian trains is cheap here. Everyone wants to travel by train here. So in high demand trains, overnight journeys and long-distance journeys, advance booking is a must thing here in India. Booking opens 120 day in advance.

You should book long journeys and overnight journeys as soon as booking opens.

Short journeys can be booked 20-30 days before (if there are many trains on the route).

Please write here for any other help, suggestion or questions.

Raj,

Train Ticket Please

Edited: 14 May 2018, 14:40
Reply to: Highest Class Train Travel in India with Toddler
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted