We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nkuringo Gorilla safaris - guide Evarist Ngabirano

Solroed Strand...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Nkuringo Gorilla safaris - guide Evarist Ngabirano

Warning against a safari guide & Company.

With this notice we (a group of 6 persons from Denmark) would like to warn the local tourist business and other travellers planning trips to Uganda against using a guide with whom we bought a 3 weeks' safari in January 2014.

His name is Evarist Ngabirano, running the one person company Nkuringo Gorilla Safaris (www.nkuringo-gorilla-safaris.com ).

We transferred him the total cost of our agreed trip about 2 months before departure. Shortly after this he claimed to be a victim of a motor cycle accident in Kampala loosing a significant amount of US dollars from our payment. With the help of good local contacts we obtained evidence that this was a false story, which he later admitted to us in a mail. In order not to loose the rest of the transferred money we completed the trip with him, but needed to pay several costs once more. After the trip we confronted him with our evidence of the fake accident and gave him a month to pay back. So far without result. He denies having any money left.

So if you plan a trip with him - you should never pay him in advance. Actually, he should be banned, as he is damaging the credibility of the safari business in Uganda.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nkuringo Gorilla safaris - guide Evarist Ngabirano

Hello Jorn

Sorry you had that experience here. Did you get in touch with AUTO (Association of Uganda Tour Operators?)

Solroed Strand...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nkuringo Gorilla safaris - guide Evarist Ngabirano

Helle Shelly

Yes, I have reported it to AUTO, which has sent it on to some Tour operators. Also, I have sent it to The Tourist Police after AUTO's recommendation. Finally, I have distributed it to The camps/hotels where we stayed during our trip. Very frustrating experience, but on the positive side we had many other good honest people in Uganda.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nkuringo Gorilla safaris - guide Evarist Ngabirano

Thanks for that Jorm. If you could, we'd appreciate a report at some point?

Solroed Strand...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nkuringo Gorilla safaris - guide Evarist Ngabirano

Hi Shelly. I'll be glad to keep you updated. The Tourist Police has not answered yet (I got their mail adress from AUTO a week ago only). It was sent to the commander mr Wilson Omoding.

If I visit Uganda again I will be sure to use a member of AUTO as organizer.

Kampala
Level Contributor
2,078 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nkuringo Gorilla safaris - guide Evarist Ngabirano

Jorn,

Sorry about the bad experience, He could be in the process of making a refund.

Good luck to you please.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nkuringo Gorilla safaris - guide Evarist Ngabirano

I did mean a trip report of your highlights as well as your lows.

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
555 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nkuringo Gorilla safaris - guide Evarist Ngabirano

I don't think AUTO will help you on this matter .. www.nkuringo-gorilla-safaris.com is not a member of AUTO. Maybe tourism police and Uganda tourism board can help.

Solroed Strand...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nkuringo Gorilla safaris - guide Evarist Ngabirano

Dear Brovad. Thanks for your input. AUTO has helped in spreading to some other operators and gave me the mail adress of the tourist police. I have sent it there already and now also on your recommendation to Uganda Tourism Board.

regards jorn

9. Re: Nkuringo Gorilla safaris - guide Evarist Ngabirano

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2015, 15:28
Get answers to your questions about Kampala