We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days itinerary suggestions - Honeymoon

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
334 posts
Save Topic
10 days itinerary suggestions - Honeymoon

Hi all,

I thought I would ask you folks suggestions on a trip I'm planning... for my honeymoon! In total, it would be a 2 weeks trip (approximately), with 3-4 days by the beach somewhere. Aside from that, we'd like to spend ~10 days between Rwanda and Uganda, with the following priorities:

1. Gorilla and Chimpanzee treks in Rwanda (3 days)

2. Jinja/Nile white water rafting (1/2 days)

3. Safari in QENP/Murchinson Falls (5 days).

We'd really like to see some good game, especially lions, leopards, cheetah - and we are trying to figure out whether Uganda would be good for that or whether Masaai Mara would be better (but logistically worse). We do not mind flying and renting private cars to minimize transfer times.

Thanks everyone for all your help!

P.S.

- We plan to visit in June/July.

Kampala
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days itinerary suggestions - Honeymoon

You will need more than 3 days to trek both gorillas in volcano and chimps in Nyungwe forest in Rwanda.

My suggestion is you drop Rwanda

-Visit Uganda for Gorillas and chimps (in Bwindi and Kibale Forest), Murchison falls and Jinja for Rafting

or

-Visit Uganda for Gorillas and chimps (in Bwindi and Kibale Forest), Jinja for rafting and Masai mara for big cats.

Kenya is the best right place to see cheetahs

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
555 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days itinerary suggestions - Honeymoon

I suggest you do the gorilla trekking in Rwanda and the chimpanzee trekking in Uganda, I have been to Nyungwe forest but they have very few chimpanzees and you must be lucky to see them.

Day 1 : Arrival in Kigali. city tour depending on the time of arrival.

Day 2: Transfer to Ruhengeri.

Day 3: gorilla trekking in Rwanda.

Day 4: Transfer to Queen Elizabeth national park.

Day 5: game drive and boat cruise on kazinga channel.

Day 6: Transfer to kibale national park and afternoon chimpanzee trekking.

Day 7: transfer to Murchison falls

Day 8: game drive and afternoon boat cruise to the bottom of the falls + hiking to the top of the falls.

Day 9: Transfer to Kampala and stop of over at the ziwa rhino .

Day 10: full day white water rafting to grade five.

Day 11: fly out to Masai mara and continue with Kenya programs .

You need to inquire if you can get gorilla permits in Rwanda first.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,167 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days itinerary suggestions - Honeymoon

Hi,

I think you might be trying to squeeze too much into 10 days, given the distances involved on the ground. From what I can see you want to do:

- Gorilla trekking

- Chimp trekking

- safari

- White Water rafting.

To do the trip will all 4 can be done, but I think picking 3 of the 4 will lead to a more comfortable, relaxed trip. As mentioned above Kibale will be much better for chimp trekking than Nyungwe, and really, if you want the best safari, then the Masai Mara is going to be a much better bet. Have you thought yet what you want to spend on this? If you can stretch to it, using some internal light aircraft flights will help you minimise the travel times involved so you can have more quality time on the ground.

Alexandra Matts- Travel Director- Extraordinary Africa

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 days itinerary suggestions - Honeymoon

I agree. It is too rushed to trek apes in Rwanda and then come to Jinja and Murchison etc.,

Better stick to Uganda. Gorillas in Bwindi, Chimps in QENP and Kibali NP. Cats in QENP. Good leopard sightings in Lake Mburo and QE. Cheetah do occur in Murchison but more sightings up in Kidepo.

Go to Serengeti for cats.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 days itinerary suggestions - Honeymoon

I know that the gorillas in Rwanda are wonderful but of course, considering distance, 3 days is quite unrealistic. I would think that having this tour all in Uganda would be quite a piece of cake.

The Chimps down in Uganda are by large my favorite, too bad- This will be the icing on the cake

Vancouver
Level Contributor
15 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 days itinerary suggestions - Honeymoon

Your chances of seeing the big cats are better in Kenya or Tanzania. How about a few days in Zanzibar at the beach - gorgeous Indian Ocean, and then a safari in K or T? Both Masai Mara and Serengeti have lots of big cats where Uganda has few. Uganda or Rwanda are wonderful for the gorillas and chimps so if you did a few days in Uganda, say 5, you could do both gorillas and chimps, or 3 days only in Rwanda for gorilla trekking (the gorillas are quite close to Kigali), then go to K or T for maybe another 5 days and then end up at Zanzibar or Mombasa for some relaxation. It is going to be very rushed to try to see everything you want in just 10 days. Maybe cut out the beach?

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 days itinerary suggestions - Honeymoon

I think the beach is adding on, to the 10 safari days?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
334 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 days itinerary suggestions - Honeymoon

Adding on, yep!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
334 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 days itinerary suggestions - Honeymoon

So, I might just do Rwanda and Maasai Mara with some beach time in Malindi/Lamu/Zanzibar. Is June a good time to visit Maasai Mara?

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 10 days itinerary suggestions - Honeymoon

June.. Not answering your question, In terms of the ocean, that's the long rains. There is of course sun and heat, but be prepared fair very heavy thundery rains at times. You might consider a sheltered place. Consider Manta Resort, Pemba and Breezes, Zanzibar. Opposite coasts, both lovely.

Get answers to your questions about Kampala
Recent Conversations