We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need to buy a sim card for a week's stay in Kampala...

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
1 post
28 reviews
Save Topic
Need to buy a sim card for a week's stay in Kampala...

What is the best way to go about this? I land on Monday morning at 5am. I am on business and need to make some local calls throughout the week and also need access to google maps to find my way around town. I am going to Nairobi for a week's business afterwards. Is there any chance I can use the same SIM? Advice would be welcome.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need to buy a sim card for a week's stay in Kampala...

Hello

I don't know for certain, but think that most of the larger companies would cope with East African roaming. Probably go for either Orange or MTN.

Where will you be in Kampala? Easiest place probably is to go to Forest Mall, at Lugogo, MTN Service Centre is quietest there, you would need to register your SIM wherever you go. They would ask for a passport photo, but you can give them your passport. Having just helped some friends get new phones and SIMs at Orange, they were much easier, just took a photo of the person and used that without a fuss.

You can certainly top up a Ugandan MTN in Rwanda, I would have thought they'd be the same in Kenya.

2. Re: Need to buy a sim card for a week's stay in Kampala...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 March 2014, 21:35
3. Re: Need to buy a sim card for a week's stay in Kampala...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2015, 18:17
Get answers to your questions about Kampala