We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best operator for mobile phone coverage in rural areas?

Queensland...
Level Contributor
141 posts
38 reviews
Best operator for mobile phone coverage in rural areas?

Anyone have experience of what operator has the best mobile coverage in rural areas? My son is currently based in a town called Ibulanku in the Iganga province. Not sure what operator he went with, but reception is very patchy. He was planning to use his iPhone for internet, but was being a bit hopeful I think!

Kampala
Level Contributor
2,223 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Best operator for mobile phone coverage in rural areas?

Advise him to us Orange internet. It is the best and fastes in uganda.

MTN is also good.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,257 posts
90 reviews
2. Re: Best operator for mobile phone coverage in rural areas?

I wrote a reply to this earlier on my phone, and then lost it all. (No irony intended..!)

I don't necessarily think it's the provider but the network coverage itself if you understand me. In my UK home, I have terrible signal, and have to walk up the road to send and receive texts. Forget calls!

Can you tell us which SIM he has, and I will try to find out specifically. How long is he in this project? He might just have to weather it.

Edited: 11 January 2012, 23:03
Queensland...
Level Contributor
141 posts
38 reviews
3. Re: Best operator for mobile phone coverage in rural areas?

He is on MTN. He only has another 6 weeks, so if MTN and the competition have much the same coverage/congestion, he'll just keep on MTN I guess.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,257 posts
90 reviews
4. Re: Best operator for mobile phone coverage in rural areas?

Hello!

It won't be the MTN that's the problem then, because that is the biggest service provider (large South African company across the continent). I'm also on MTN, and sometimes have rubbish signal when we are up at school, and that's only an hour north of Kampala.

Hope he's enjoying whatever he's doing there.

regards

Shelly

Queensland...
Level Contributor
141 posts
38 reviews
5. Re: Best operator for mobile phone coverage in rural areas?

Thanks for the reply. He's a student doing an elective as part of his degree - at a health clinic in a village. He enjoying it so far, but with the communication issues we'll have to wait until he gets back for all the stories.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,257 posts
90 reviews
6. Re: Best operator for mobile phone coverage in rural areas?

Well yes I guess you will, til he makes it back to a free wifi cafe in Kampala! Great experience, I know how important those opportunities are, (being a HCP myself), and how much he'll be gaining, besides what he's giving.

:-)

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,653 posts
276 reviews
7. Re: Best operator for mobile phone coverage in rural areas?

MTN generally works the best. Perhaps he is in a valley because my experience is that their coverage is the most widespread and reliable

8. Re: Best operator for mobile phone coverage in rural areas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2013, 21:20