We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Windhoek to Harnas

Level Contributor
45 posts
6 reviews
Windhoek to Harnas

Hello,

I want to ask what is the best/cheapest way to get from Windhoek airport to Harnas Wildlife Foundation? Or even just to Gobabis?

My flight arrives @ 14:30 on a Friday and unfortunately they only pick up their volunteers in the morning so I need to make my own way there. The price they quoted was N$3000 which is very pricey for me (am travelling there alone!) so would like to try some alternatives.

Thanks everyone in advance!

5 replies to this topic
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
19,950 posts
62 reviews
1. Re: Windhoek to Harnas

About the only alternative would be to use one of those minibus/taxi lines. I have no idea where and how, only that they exists. Personally I would wait till next morning for Harnas to pick me up. You are volunteering, after all, and one night in Windhoek should not be that expensive. But count on taxi fare between airport and city is above 30 USD.

Level Contributor
45 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Windhoek to Harnas

Thank you, but Harnas only picks up once a week, if you miss that, must wait til next week....that is the problem:(

auckland
Level Contributor
880 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: Windhoek to Harnas

Hello Hello.... the obvious question is why are you arriving in the afternoon of the once a week morning pick up? The next question is why on earth are they charging that much to pick up a volunteer ( yes I know the cynical answer) and thirdly why don’t you go back to them and say after paying to get to Namibia, to volunteer for them, you simply don’t have that money in your budget ... what other alternatives could they suggest for you to get to them? I do hope once there you have a fabulous experience.... all the best. ( Spot the old lady who has been ‘around the block’ a few times!)

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
19,950 posts
62 reviews
4. Re: Windhoek to Harnas

Well, they are strict ... but then, volunteers must wait in line to work for them. No good answer from my side, sorry. Do ask them how their workers and themselves are transferring to Windhoek and back, surely not always with a car.

Level Contributor
45 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Windhoek to Harnas

I had to change my dates last minute, which means I couldn't arrive on time for their pick up...my original dates were timed for their pick up. Its unfortunate. Thank you very much for your input:)

Reply to: Windhoek to Harnas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Windhoek