We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toyota Hilux and Sand

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Toyota Hilux and Sand

Hello TA experts,

This may be a silly question but I was wondering if sand goes inside the back of the toyota hilux’s that are available to rent? Im asking since we are two people and Im wondering if I should rent a single cab one or a double cab one and put the luggage in the back seat? If i can go with single cab one, is it possible to secure the luggage for them to not freely roam around? Sorry for this but I couldnt find a single picture that can asnwer this easily!

7 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,350 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Toyota Hilux and Sand

Sand will get into everything regardless of where you put it, back of canopy or in the back seats. Just keep your luggage zipped up and your clothes inside should be fine.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
19,976 posts
62 reviews
2. Re: Toyota Hilux and Sand

More dust then sand. To keep the dust out as much as possible leave the side windows on pick-up open while driving! Seems counterintuitive but it works. And for luggage buy a couple of large size black bin bags and put the luggage inside.

There will not be much space for your luggage to roam inside the pick-up space: a spare tyre, a fridge, and if camping the box with camping utensils etc will eat up most of the available space.

I prefer the double cab as it give me more "air" inside the passenger area, and when photographing, the person on the rear bench will have both sides to use, thus making the life for the driver easier.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
40,063 posts
452 reviews
3. Re: Toyota Hilux and Sand

As others. Some Hi lUxe with hard tops have a flap that you open when driving that 'pressurises' the interior over the outside. IN theory this prevents dust being drawn inside the rear doors. It works after a fashion, you probably get less dust ingress than if not using it, but you will get some.

You will get it inside the DCab also so just use the back and wrap up luggage with bags and cover with a blanket. It all helps minimise the dust. It is only dust and brushes off easily.

Same goes for cameras and optics.

Drive with windows open but close them when passing traffic.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Toyota Hilux and Sand

Some great tips! Thank you everyone!

Allentown...
Level Contributor
84 posts
22 reviews
5. Re: Toyota Hilux and Sand

Dust everywhere. Most do not know the 'trick' mentioned by mfuwe, but it does help so heed his advice. Also, I went to the local hardware store and bought construction clean-up bags to put my luggage in. Works well. Much thicker than normal leaf or trash bags. I changed bags every 3 or 4 days over my 23 day trip.

6. Re: Toyota Hilux and Sand

YES! sand and dust will cover everything in the cab. I just drove a Hilux in terrain and off road. All our backpacking gear was covered.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Toyota Hilux and Sand

Good stuff Buddy and Daytrip. Will definitely bring along large thick plastic bags! Thank you!

Reply to: Toyota Hilux and Sand
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Windhoek