We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Namibia alone in self drive in Jan/Feb

Ancona, Italy
Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
Namibia alone in self drive in Jan/Feb

Hi there, i know some of my questions may be covered in different in different topics, but i had some troubles in spotting them.

So, i travelled a lot, but this would be my very first time in Africa, i basically plan to visit Namibia from end january to mid february, 3 weeks.

I have some questions:

1) Car: since is the wet season, i prefer having hi clearence vehicle, does anyone knows if old vehicle (2011) from advanced car rental in windohek are reliable? They are Totyota hilux + roof tent. Any other suggestion for rentings these kind of vehicle?

2) Accomodation: with this kind of vehicle what's the average price for parking in campings? should i book anything? (i think is not necessary)

3) about food: do camping have facilities to eat? or if you go camping you are forced to cook?

4) any suggestion for this time of the year? dangers or annoyances?

thanx a lot!

Edited: 21 November 2018, 00:33
15 replies to this topic
Paris, France
Level Contributor
127 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Namibia alone in self drive in Jan/Feb

Some of the campsite are located close to a lodge where you can eat very good buffet (some need reservations), or a smaller bar/restaurant where they cook some more basic food at a lower rate. Others you don't have anything and/or are not allowed to eat at the lodge. So it depends, always best to have some easy meals to make in case of.

Edited: 21 November 2018, 07:50
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
40,063 posts
452 reviews
2. Re: Namibia alone in self drive in Jan/Feb

1. Car reliability is a mystery. You can have a brand new car break down and an ancient one just keep going.

There is a case for have a well tried car with some mileage and use and seven years old should have been serviced well. Much depends on the reliability of the Rental people and in this regard Advanced do enjoy a good reputation. Just check it over carefully and don't accept anything you feel needs attention.

2. Camping pitches are not expensive.

3. Camps in Etosha have restaurants where you can eat if cooking does not appeal all the time. Some lodges have campsites in the grounds and will accept campers to dine. Others do not. But your camper should be equipped with a stove and in many sites there are fixed BBQ sites (called "Braai" in southern africa) where you can grill stuff al fresco. Beer and Good wine readily found in NAM.

4. No real dangers although you are entering the rains so a storm may bring down a flood. Don't camp in river beds even if the sun is shining. Don't try and cross a flood.

Insects may be a pest in wet weather.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
19,952 posts
62 reviews
3. Re: Namibia alone in self drive in Jan/Feb

1. as mfuwe also myself I am a client of Advanced, and I prefer older to newer; while mechanical problems cannot be predicted, they are few as vehicles tend to be regularly serviced. Having a good set of tires is the most important thing when renting a vehicle.

2. prices vary but they are inexpensive in general. Some camps are just fabulous, with your own private cooking/ablution block. I do think booking in advance is important; because in the case of a camp being fully booked, next one might be 100 kms away. At least waht to be done is to get a reservation one day in advance.

3. some does others does not, so always be prepared with some food; every campsite will have a braai (grill).

4. cannot tell as never been to Namibia in December

Ancona, Italy
Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Namibia alone in self drive in Jan/Feb

hi guys thank you all.

does anyone have exeprience with single cab with one tent in the roof? is enough for 2 people one of which quite large?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
19,952 posts
62 reviews
5. Re: Namibia alone in self drive in Jan/Feb

There are different sizes of RTT; to my knowledge standard is 140 cm width but there is also 160 cm width. Each can be mounted on top of a single cab. Double cab is more about game driving comfort for photographers; one person seating on the rear bench will have access to both side windows.

Ancona, Italy
Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Namibia alone in self drive in Jan/Feb

thanx

140 would be acceptable i guess, but 120cm as mentioned by hiring company seems really too narrow

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,350 posts
9 reviews
7. Re: Namibia alone in self drive in Jan/Feb

I'm renting a single cab Hilux for my upcoming trip in Jun/Jul. I'm not using the RTT though and instead an instant pop up ground tent. Up in 3 seconds and done. I just don't want the hassle of opening and closing a RTT by myself.

Ancona, Italy
Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Namibia alone in self drive in Jan/Feb

not a big deal in wet season, for you can work well. i am wondering if in the rear of a single cab there is room for a maitress or not

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
40,063 posts
452 reviews
9. Re: Namibia alone in self drive in Jan/Feb

< i am wondering if in the rear of a single cab there is room for a maitress or not.>

For what it is worth my wife and I slept in the back of our Hi Luxe on the mattress from the RTT on a three week trip without a problem. Like Daniel we could not be bothered to climb up and down the ladder so left the tent packed. We are of a certain mature age, even then, but apart from climbing over the tailgate for access and egress we coped well. No packing away of dusty/wet tent. Bliss!

Having the fridge close to hand in the night was also useful!

Ancona, Italy
Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Namibia alone in self drive in Jan/Feb

hi thanx for your reply. did you rent single cab with camping equipment? i saw a picture of a single cab loaded with full equipment and it seems there is no space for sleepping, maybe you kept something outside in the night?

Reply to: Namibia alone in self drive in Jan/Feb
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted