We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Etosha safari that starts IN Etosha?

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
Etosha safari that starts IN Etosha?

I am looking to do a 4 day safari in Etosha in May.

But what I would like to do is find a way to get to Etosha on a Friday, spend my Sabbath in a lodge on Saturday and then organize a safari to start on Sunday AM till Wednesday and then take a bus or shuttle on my own back to Windhoek on Wednesday.

Is it possible to do it that way? It seems that every safari I've seen is organized starting in Windhoek and then by the time it reaches Etosha, then half a day is wasted.

Any comments?

12 replies to this topic
auckland
Level Contributor
888 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Etosha safari that starts IN Etosha?

....... the easiest solution is hire a car...... you need to get to Etosha...... you need to get from Etosha and ‘doing a safari in Etosha’ is a matter of following well defined roads enjoying whatever wildlife you encounter. With respect the only factors I haven’t considered are if you drive at all and if you can on your Sabbath....... as you have said, what you would like to do, otherwise will be difficult quite simply because there just aren’t that many ‘Safari’ companies and even shuttles don’t really work that way . ( I travelled with a girl whose luggage arrived after her and it was no mean feat getting it to Etosha.) All the best you are in for a treat.......

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Etosha safari that starts IN Etosha?

I also think the best method would be to simply rent a vehicle and go yourself. You don't need a safari guide or company to drive around Etosha. It's made for self driving. Book a vehicle and your accommodation and your done. Route up to Etosha is an easy straight drive up for the most part.

Are you doing any other parts of Namibia?

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
3. Re: Etosha safari that starts IN Etosha?

Well, we were thinking of doing 3 or 4 Days in Namibia on the tail end of our trip to Botswana. Also felt, that the safaris in general were less expensive and there was lots of opportunity to see different wildlife. At this point, not sure that were going to do that because we were put off by the prospect of having to drive 5-6 hours from Windhoek in order to get to Etosha. We felt that that was a waste of at least a full day (counting both ways).

Also, my wife feels that it's a little risky to make this trip in a foreign country with lots of sand and the prospect of a car going out of control and not being able to get help easily. Is the highway between Windhoek and Etosha modern and easy to traverse?

auckland
Level Contributor
888 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: Etosha safari that starts IN Etosha?

I strongly suspect I may be old enough to be your older sister if not your mother and travelling with another ‘more mature’ lady we had no problem with that particular drive ( yes we got a puncture on a side road but that was also no issue as we almost had people queuing up to help!) You really don’t need anyone to find the animals for you.....

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
40,063 posts
452 reviews
5. Re: Etosha safari that starts IN Etosha?

There is no sand between Windhoek and Etosha. Smooth tar all the way. don't treat it as a wasted day, enjoy the drive. the road is a main B road so help is not far away if you did have a problem.

But I agree that with only 4 days for your trip it is hardly worthwhile.

auckland
Level Contributor
888 posts
20 reviews
6. Re: Etosha safari that starts IN Etosha?

Rarely do I disagree with you Mfuwe, but disagree I must.... if this was going to arguably be your only chance to experience Etosha(even if only 3 full days) ..... wouldn’t you ttake it? I would......

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
20,034 posts
62 reviews
7. Re: Etosha safari that starts IN Etosha?

After Botswana, if self-driving there, you will be already master of deep sand driving. But alas, no sand either on the modern tarmac road that connects Windhoek with Etosha (Okakuejo) nor inside Etosha where flat and firm (if no rain) gravel roads are the norm.

Personally, I would not be inclined to fly to Windhoek only for 3 days at Etosha. Much of the wildlife you will see laready in Botswana, and probably it will be better to extend your itinerary there. To see something very different why not doing Sossusvlei (but that drive is tougher then the one to Etosha) or Swakopmund (closer and on equally good tarmac road) ?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
40,063 posts
452 reviews
8. Re: Etosha safari that starts IN Etosha?

We can all disagree at times so feel free to do so.

The OP does change the deal part way from 4 days IN Etosha, Sun-Wed to only 4 days in country to get to Etosha and back giving at best two days in the park.

Granted that two nights at Okaukuejo can be rewarding but is this their only shot at coming to Namibia?

Coupled with the obvious nervousness of Mrs OP with self drive I just wondered if this side trip was really for them.

As a complete aside my own 'yardstick' for trips is that hours in flight must be less than days on ground at destination. It works for me.

Edited: 20 November 2018, 21:26
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
20,034 posts
62 reviews
9. Re: Etosha safari that starts IN Etosha?

Is that one-way or return flights, mfuwe?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
40,063 posts
452 reviews
10. Re: Etosha safari that starts IN Etosha?

Total times for both. i.e. RSA, 10 hours each way calls for a 21 day trip. Nice and simple.

SLO would be a 7 day visit.

Reply to: Etosha safari that starts IN Etosha?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted