We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive to Victoria falls without passing through Botswana?

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Drive to Victoria falls without passing through Botswana?

Hi,

We are staying in Divava for 2 nights. Then we have 5 days free as getting a visa was a huge pain. So any suggestions how to fill these days for last week of June? I'm considering various options:

1) Victoria Falls and Durban - Drive to Victori falls if possible without passing through Botswana - How long is the drive?

2) Fly to Durban and spend 5 days there, but the flight is crazy long - Katima - Windhoek - Joburg - Durban and costly

3) Add 1 more night in Caprivi, 1 in Vic Falls and 3 nights in Durban

4) Drive back to Windhoek with one-night halt en-route and do Durban for 3 days.

I'm really confused as my plan A Botswana failed due to visa and plan B Lesotho failed due to 160 USD visa cost. I've been to Victoria Falls once before but it was in September.

Thanks so much for the help till now. What would be better and different experience?

6 replies to this topic
Hoofddorp, The...
Level Contributor
212 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive to Victoria falls without passing through Botswana?

You could go to Livingstone which is on the Zambian side, via Katima Mulilo. You would probably need a visa for Zambia, so that could be a showstopper as well.

As we do not know the rest or your trip it is hard to give other suggestions.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,678 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive to Victoria falls without passing through Botswana?

As Irma says you can get to Livingstone on the Zamiban side but you will need a Zambian Visa.

Personally I think that you would be better served by forgetting Victoria Falls and staying in Namibia.

I don't know the rest of your itinerary but there must be places you have not included that you can now visit.

Caprivi has the Kwando and Zambezi river systems which would be rewarding.

Or double back into Kunene area?

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive to Victoria falls without passing through Botswana?

Thanks for suggestions. We visiting Kruger from a week, then flying to Windhoek, renting car and driving - kalahari, fish river canyon, sossulvei, skoupmund, spitz, damaraland, etosha and then divava in caprivi strip for 2 nights. All this is booked. Even I was thinking to leave Victoria Falls as we have been. So what else would be worthwhile?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,678 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive to Victoria falls without passing through Botswana?

Assuming your bookings are fixed then you could consider going up into Kwando river area before heading back to WDH for your plane or if you can hand over in Katimo mulilo this is something I have wanted to do for a while.

http://www.caprivihouseboatsafaris.com/

Botswana without the Visa.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive to Victoria falls without passing through Botswana?

Thanks mfuwe for the suggestion. I liked it but found a bit basic. If we drive back to Windhoek, any interesting place to stop which I have missed in my itinerary?

I'm debating whether to take the crazy flight from Katima or drive back.

Thanks

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,678 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive to Victoria falls without passing through Botswana?

If driving back then Frans Indongo Lodge would be my #1 choice.

http://www.indongolodge.com/index.htm Comfortable lodging , good food and a bit of local history. Close enough to Cheetah Conservation Fund HQ for a day visit. Indeed CCF have a very nice Guest lodge now.

Go sleep with the Cheetahs.

Reply to: Drive to Victoria falls without passing through Botswana?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted