We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Electricity in Namibia

London, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Electricity in Namibia

Can one use British appliances in Namibia?

If so what sort of adaptor plug is required?

Mentioned in this post
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
7 replies to this topic
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,489 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Electricity in Namibia

What kind of appliances are you talking about?! If electronics then yes, today all electronics are dual voltage, 110/220. Otherwise they are on 220V/50 Hz. They do use a very specific 3-prong plug Type D. Search internet for more info.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,075 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Electricity in Namibia

You need the South African type three pin. Looks like UK old 'round' 3 pin but not same size.

Worry not, you can buy one in Namibia on arrival. Most garages and electric goods places stock them.

Mentioned in this post
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
The Netherlands
Level Contributor
110 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Electricity in Namibia

Adapters can be found in the major supermarkets as well.

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
110 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Electricity in Namibia

The plugs in Namibia appear to be called BS 546 (round pins, 7mm leads, 9 mm earth). If I am correct, in the UK these seem to have been replaced by BS 1363 (flat pins) so you will need an adapter. Being from the Netherlands I have to use an adapter anyway, and I bought one in a local supermarket in Namibia.

Mentioned in this post
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
London, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Electricity in Namibia

Thank you to all who replied.

Lausanne...
Level Contributor
66 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Electricity in Namibia

Every single lodge we stayed in in Namibia (10-ish) also had sockets that accepted Europlug, most in the rooms and the rest in common areas. I think I only saw the UK plug type accepted in the Hilton. Some lodges in fact didn't even have Namibian/South African sockets accessible without unplugging a light or whatever. I brought an adaptor for our Europlug devices, but we never even used it.

It's probably worth bringing an adaptor, but I wouldn't buy more than one, especially if you already have UK to Europlug adaptors.

Edited: 22 May 2018, 01:18
Mentioned in this post
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
The Netherlands
Level Contributor
110 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Electricity in Namibia

By the way, if it is just for charging batteries, then it might come handy to have a car charger with you. The availability of a power socket on your own campsite is not guaranteed and in hotels you have to either leave your charging batteries in your room or stay with them all the time. With a car charger you won't have these problems.

Reply to: Electricity in Namibia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted