We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Namibia

London, United...
13 posts
Driving in Namibia

Can anyone assist me as to where I can find the "rules of the road" in Namibia? Ie the equivalent to the UK Highway Code?

5 replies to this topic
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
19,517 posts
63 reviews
1. Re: Driving in Namibia

Rules of the road?! To me driving in Namibia was very much like driving in EU or UK, same signs, same rules. Once outside Windhoek you will be mostly alone on the roads. The most important "rule of the gravel road" isdrive slowly, keep your speed below 80 km/h. Anyway, again search internet for more info.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,939 posts
448 reviews
2. Re: Driving in Namibia

As xelas. Most signs will be familiar to you.

Local conditions seem to suggest Headlights when driving on gravel. Seatbelts of course. Halt signs mean just that. Lights are called Robots.

Most police are reasonably forgiving with a first time tourist for minor lapses.

Take a look at this.

namibia-1on1.com/information/road-selfdriver…

London, United...
13 posts
3. Re: Driving in Namibia

Thank you for this.

Many years ago I visited South Africa and I recall they had a number of road traffic laws which were different to UK, so I assume Namibia may well be the same.

Two things which come to mind are:

- four way stop junctions.

- (I think) it was illegal to cross the road as a pedestrian without a green man at pedestrian lights.

I am sure there was more, but it was a long time ago.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: Driving in Namibia

Coming from Canada our rules I was concerned about the same thing. In the end I just followed existing traffic and had no issues...other than turning on my wipers constantly...

Ridgewood, New...
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
5. Re: Driving in Namibia

" ...other than turning on my wipers constantly... "

LOL, you and me both!!

Reply to: Driving in Namibia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted