We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Average price of camp sites?

Angus, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
76 reviews
Average price of camp sites?

Hi, hoping for some general advice and help.

We are planning a trip in May/June 2019 to Namibia and Botswana from the UK.We are looking at hiring a 4x4 equipped vehicle. Probably a Toyota Land Cruiser.

We are planning a trip of around 30-35 days. Collect vehicle in Windhoek and drop off in either Gaborone or JoBurg. Our options are very open regarding drop off as we can either fly from Gabs to Joburg or just drive to Joburg.

Any recommendations on best hire companies? What is the average cost of camping overnight for 2 adults with a vehicle in both Namibia and Botswana? ( a very rough figure will help enormously ). Trying to work out if it's a lot more to stay in "cottage/rondavel" type accommodation. We aren't looking to stay in luxury for the majority of our trip, we are hoping to do that towards the end of our stay.

Many thanks in anticipation.

7 replies to this topic
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
19,144 posts
62 reviews
1. Re: Average price of camp sites?

I would go for Bushlore. It has offices in both Windhoek and Jo'burg (and maybe also in Gaborone, check with them). In Namibia

Campsites in Namibia we have paid from 135 NAD pp to 280 NAD pp; in Botswana they are more expensive, I remember that in Khwai community campsite (only amenities were tall trees) we have paid 300 Pula per person per night. But that one is in the heart of Chobe! In Maun a very well appointed Audi Camp was 90 Pula/person and electricity was 80 Pula per night.

Angus, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
76 reviews
2. Re: Average price of camp sites?

Thanks ever so much.

Lots to plan and arrange but looking forward to our big trip next year.........now to decide where to go.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
19,144 posts
62 reviews
3. Re: Average price of camp sites?

Where to go is easy; fly to Windhoek and start with Sossusvlei. Then work the west side of the country: Swakopmund, Damaraland, Kaokoland, Kunene. Dedicate 10 days for this part. Stay 1 week inside Etosha NP. Next week dedicate to Caprivi, and last 10 days to Botswana. Return to Windhoek, drop off the car, fly home. Piece of cake (or apple pie, if you prefer).

Angus, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
76 reviews
4. Re: Average price of camp sites?

Thanks Xelas, I have read a few of your trip reports which are very helpful and informative, the photos are stunning and confirm that we really need to visit Namibia.

We have a rough itinerary and are awaiting a reply from one of the vehicle hire companies who are giving our plans a look over. We have decided that our first main stop will be Etosha so that our visits to game reserves are split by visits to Soussvlei etc. I think most folk seem to go the clockwise route around Namibia but we appear to be going anti clockwise! Once we get to Botswana we are going to Moremi and Makgadikgadi and Mashatu.

Apple crumble is very much to our liking and we will be calling in to get some for sure.

Thanks for your replies and all the helpful advice you give on this forum.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
19,144 posts
62 reviews
5. Re: Average price of camp sites?

Happy to read that somebody else then myself is reading my trip reports :-)). A counter-clockwise route is usual as desert is always usually served at the end of the dinner. But you can do it any way, and some even skip Etosha altogether (not me).

Level Contributor
19 posts
23 reviews
6. Re: Average price of camp sites?

Our lodging (for 2 people with a land cruiser) was $50 USD on average per day - we were in Botswana 2/3s of the time which was more expensive than Namibia.

Budget details: https:/…

Detailed Itinerary: https:/…

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
7. Re: Average price of camp sites?

I paid between USD $10 - USD $30 per night. I recommend checking out the community-run campgrounds so your money goes to the hands of the local people. Here's a Namibia guide I hope it's helpful to you! https://www.bemytravelmuse.com/namibia-guide/

Reply to: Average price of camp sites?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted