We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Namibia Trip Report 21st April to 31st May 2018

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
131 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Namibia Trip Report 21st April to 31st May 2018

Thank you to everyone who assisted us with comments and suggestions on this forum to make our trip to Namibia a success! I have given a brief report of our experience during this time and I am happy to answer any questions you may have! Lodges will be reviewed separately.

Arrival -21st April 2018

We arrived in Namibia on Saturday the 21st of April 2018 around 11am and cleared immigration fairly fast as ours was the only flight at the time. I did notice that several banks including Western Union was open at the time and did not appear to be too busy. As we had already paid for accommodation, we had decided to bring whatever cash we needed for fuel and other expenses in Rand to save time. My Australian Visa card did not go through at a couple of lodges (Grootberg and Eagle Tented Lodge to be specific) hence was glad we had cash! Our travel agent Atelier Africa had arranged a Toyota Prado 4x4 through Asco Car Hire and Richard was waiting for us when we came out of immigration to transfer us to Asco.

Asco Car Hire

Was very professional and took time to answer our million questions – we have been to Africa a few times, however this was our very first self drive and the drivers were a bit apprehensive! Although we had paid the agent for a fridge and this was on our voucher, we were told that we could only have a cooler box as there was no connection for a fridge – not sure where the miscommunication took place but all went well as we did not have room even for a cooler box when we packed in 5pax luggage!

Stopped en-route to buy a few essentials like water and snacks before arriving at our first night stopover Gocheganas Lodge. (reviewed separately) We arrived in time for the afternoon game drive – did not take much time to track down the almost tame white rhinos – the driver knew exactly where to find them. While it was not the same feeling that we had encountering a rhino in the wild, it was still good to observe them at close quarters!

22nd April 2018

Left after breakfast for Le Mirage Lodge (2 nights) in Sesriem stopping many times for photos specially at the Spreetshoogte Pass.

23rd April 2018

Was at the sesriem gate to queue up before sunrise – vehicle number and number of passengers was noted and payment (N$80 pp+10 for vehicle) had to paid at the office before exiting the park. A few photo stops and we were at Dune45 scrambling to get to the top – some of us did! We opted to park at the 2WD car park and pay the ridiculously high fee of N$170 pp (return) for shuttle bus to 4x4 car park and walked to deadvlei – only photo stops at other dunes before the sun became too hot to bear. We saw at least three vehicles stuck in the sand and was glad we did not take that chance being in-experienced in driving in sand. Filled up petrol at sesriem to save time next morning.

24th April 2018

Stopped at Solitaire Bakery – did not think much of the apple crumble but the savoury pastries (chicken and mushroom) we bought for lunch was good.

The drive to Walvis Bay (Oyster Box Guest House – one night) was scenic and the Kuiseb pass dramatic. What strikes you most is the changes in scenery – rarely did we have a boring drive. Plenty of Flamingos in the Lagoon – none in the salt works area. Dinner at the Raft was great – may be the best meal we had in the two weeks we were in Namibia. We drove to the spot where we saw the flamingos next morning and took more photos in the morning light.

25th April 2018

We stopped at Swakop only to refuel as we had a long journey ahead to the fur seal colony at cape cross and then back track to Henties Bay to get to Doro Niwas! Lodge for the next two nights. While the seal colony is seriously smelly (we expected it to be so) – in my opinion the visual impact out weighed the smell factor by far. Watch out for seals who block your path! Entrance was N$100+10 for vehicle. The “salt road” scenery was quite unique even though a bit monotonous at times

The journey to Doro Niwas! was long but we did get there just before sunset. The next day we did the desert elephant tracking activity in the morning – the elephants (just 3+baby) appeared to be quite used to vehicles with at least three to four parties observing them from fairly close quarters. The driver/guide appeared to know exactly where they could be found and was quite unconcerned about the proximity of the vehicles to the elephants which was of concern to us. In the afternoon we did the tours at Twyfelfontein (N$100pp) to see the rock art and then the organ pipes and burnt mountain (N$50 pp). It is possible to re-fuel at Twyfelfontein Lodge but unfortunately for us, they only had diesel petrol pump was out of action leaving us no alternative but a drive to Khorixas to re-fuel the next day.

27th April 2018

Stopped at Khorixas the next day to re-fuel and stopped at the official site for petrified forest (N$100 pp) – several unofficial sites as well!

The drive to Grootberg Lodge (2 nights) was relatively short and we got there in time for afternoon tea. Stunning scenery all around us! We did the Rhino tracking activity the next day – this was nearly N$2000 pp not to mention the tips! –A lot of driving and waiting to see one solitary Rhino (de-horned and tagged but we were assured that no tracking device was used) – when they located him we walked about 5 mts on not too difficult terrain to observe the Rhino – We are still trying to decide if this activity was really worth it both from our perspective and that of the Rhino!

29th April 2018

One of the best sights we saw was on the next day – having talked to some guides at Grootberg Lodge we decided to do the long journey to the Angolan Border to view the Ruacana Falls as we would not be coming back to Namibia any time soon. It was a sight to behold and fully worth it! A boring journey but we had a good tarred road, C35, all the way. We paid the price for this de-tour by getting lost on our return journey as it was almost 6pm when we got back to Kamanjab from where we had to get to the Eagle Tented Lodge – the road map given to us by Atelier Africa with the route highlighted and the written instructions given by them was not the same. It would not have been a major issue in the light of day but getting lost on D roads after sunset with no phone connections was a bit scary. Plenty of Kudu and Oryx on the road hence we had to take it slow. In the end we got back to main road (C40) and managed to ring the agent – we were advised to stay on the major roads – hence we ended up doing another 150 KM via Outjo and got to the lodge at 11.30pm! The manager who had been informed by then had dinner ready for us and we are thankful to the lodge for their warm welcome at this ungodly hour!

30th April 2018

Took it easy – plenty of bird life around. Did an afternoon game drive to Etosha. Did not see much compared to our previous visits to the Serengeti, Botswana and South Africa which were also done around April/May. Plenty of Zebra, Oryx, Impala Kudu and birds of all kinds (blue crane and saddle billed Stork among the best). The recent rains meant plenty of water in the park and less of big animals at water holes and close to the road.

One thing we observed was the lack of enthusiasm or welcome at the NWR payment office specially at Namutoni– the staff looked bored and had no interest in helping us. Our questions were answered in an abrupt manner if at all! It would have helped us if we knew that we could pay for 3 days entrance on day one. As it had to be written at the gate, we had to do this the next day. ($80 pp per day+ N$10 for vehicle)

1st May

We exited from the Namutoni gate as we were staying at Mushara Lodge the next two days – the service at this lodge was far more professional than the other lodges we stayed at. The distance to the Etosha gate was not much and we were able to get in at sunrise and hang around at a water hole close to the gate until 30mts before time to exit the park. This worked out well for us as we saw the most animals at the dik-dik water hole close to sunset. Also saw Rhino and one Lion with a kill and cheetah with 3 cubs – all at a distance but elephants up-close and personal with a mindful driver at the wheel made the journey worthwhile!

3rd May

Long journey back to Windhoek – stopped en-route at the Cheetah Conservation Fund close to Otjiwarango and did the drive to see the orphaned cheetahs being well cared for. The volunteers do a great job here! Once again the directions on the road map given by our travel agent did not specify the exact name of exit for our accommodation in Windhoek and we got there after sunset due to the cheetah stop-over but we managed OK as it is hard to get lost in Windhoek! The second best meal was at Hotel Thule in Windhoek, ,perched on a hill with lovely views from restaurant!

4th May

Quick and easy handover of vehicle at Asco and seamless transfer to the airport. In the end we never needed the spare tyres but were glad to have two spares considering the time we got to our accommodation on some nights. The clearance a 4x4 gave us was useful specially on some of the gravel roads and for better views at all times. Recommend a good torch which we forgot! Most of the lodges we stayed at did not provide a torch/light and believe me the lighting along pathways and the stones jutting out made the walk to our chalet quite an event at times! We did not need a GPS for our route and the maps provided by the travel agent and car hire company were adequate.

Mentioned in this post
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
Grootberg Lodge
Grootberg Lodge
823 Reviews
Palmwag, Namibia
GocheGanas
GocheGanas
329 Reviews
Windhoek, Namibia
Solitaire bakery
Solitaire bakery
566 Reviews
Solitaire, Namibia
Walvis Bay
Walvis Bay
Erongo Region, Namibia
Kuiseb Pass
Kuiseb Pass
57 Reviews
Erongo Region, Namibia
The Raft
The Raft
647 Reviews
Walvis Bay, Namibia
Twyfelfontein
Twyfelfontein
873 Reviews
Damaraland, Namibia
Khorixas
Khorixas
Kunene Region, Namibia
Kamanjab
Kamanjab
Kunene Region, Namibia
Outjo
Outjo
Kunene Region, Namibia
Etosha National Park
Etosha National Park
Oshikoto Region, Namibia
Namutoni Camp
Namutoni Camp
574 Reviews
Etosha National Park, Namibia
Mushara Lodge
Mushara Lodge
339 Reviews
Etosha National Park, Namibia
Windhoek
Windhoek
Khomas Region, Namibia
Cheetah Conservation Fund
Cheetah Conservation Fund
404 Reviews
Otjiwarongo, Namibia
Hotel Thule
Hotel Thule
261 Reviews
Windhoek, Namibia
9 replies to this topic
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,402 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Namibia Trip Report 21st April to 31st May 2018

That is one great trip report, and specially useful when you mention the prices. It looks like the quality of the apple pie/crumble is slowly going down, and the quality of the NWR staff is definitively not going up!

Having a GPS based map is not that much worth to lead your way, but it is mighty useful when you are looking for the right D road :-)) Let us know when and where you will post your photos.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
131 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Namibia Trip Report 21st April to 31st May 2018

Thanks for that! Not sure if we would have turned on to a road which we could not see even if we had a GPS! Did not realise how dark it becomes no sooner the sun sets. I will attach a couple of photos with my lodge reviews - have done Gocheganas and Le Mirage so far. The majority will be on following site where my husband posts photos when he gets time.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/102752057@N03/

We are originally from Sri Lanka (live in Brisbane now) and I forgot to mention in my trip report that not one person we met in Namibia had ever met a Sri Lankan or even heard of Sri Lanka! That was revealing!

Mentioned in this post
GocheGanas
GocheGanas
329 Reviews
Windhoek, Namibia
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,534 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Namibia Trip Report 21st April to 31st May 2018

Thanks for an excellent report. Very entertaining. I can imagine how impressive Ruacan Falls were after the river flooded. There was just a trickle when we passed in December.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,402 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Namibia Trip Report 21st April to 31st May 2018

Sri Lanka! What a beautiful place, and I have enjoyed self driving around. Two completely different experiences but we have enjoyed them both.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,231 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Namibia Trip Report 21st April to 31st May 2018

Thanks for the trip report. We did the Rhino tracking at Palmwag and thought it was worth it due to the time and whole adventure of driving through the rough terrain. We even walked for quite a bit that made the adventure worthwhile. In the end we found two Rhino sleeping under a tree which to be honest was a bit of a letdown after all the tracking we did. Thankfully I found the tracking part quite enjoyable.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
131 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Namibia Trip Report 21st April to 31st May 2018

Were you actually brave enough to self drive in Sri Lanka? Even we have stopped doing that on our annual visits as we have lost touch with driving all over the road!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
131 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Namibia Trip Report 21st April to 31st May 2018

We did enjoy it, specially chatting to the driver guide while waiting for the trackers- just wondered if it was all worth it in the end!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,402 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Namibia Trip Report 21st April to 31st May 2018

Yes I did, I have enjoyed it, and will do again! Commuter traffic in Ljubljana is as bad as commuter traffic in Colombo. You have tuk tuks we have bikers.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,534 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Namibia Trip Report 21st April to 31st May 2018

I think the Rhino tracking is worth it. "We" walked a fair bit and came upon a mum and young calf. If nothing else the adrenalin rush on top of the hike must have done wonders for my heart.

Actually any activity that encourages/pays for wildlife preservation HAS to be a good thing.

(Self driving in Sri Lanka lacks the wildlife preservation factor but I bet it helps the heart muscles! I had no such problems in Ljubljana!)

Reply to: Namibia Trip Report 21st April to 31st May 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted