We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel times Please

Sydney
Level Contributor
16 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Travel times Please

Hi like many before me getting mixed reviews on travel times and obviously different times of year vary so we are travelling in late July and hope we can grab some help with travel times between each stop and any recommendations of those hidden gems along the way.

Overnight start and finish Windhoek

Next morning drive to Wolwedans dunes Camap for 3 nights (we will still have jetlag)

Is 5 - 6hrs about right drive time and the roads I think I read pretty average in parts

Then off to Kulala Desert lodge sossusvlei for 3 nights (no hurry here older couple so pacing)

Think that a little 2 hour transfer drive ?

From there up to swakopmund for 3 nights and will incorporate walvis bay day trips big stretch I think around 6hours drive

From swakopmund to okonjima bush camp (done africa 4 times and never seen cheetah!!) 2 nights is this about 4 hours driving

From okonjima its to ongava tended for 3 nights - 4 hours and the damarland overnight before flight to hoanib.

Thankfully the drive on the same side of the road as us so that is a little less pressure but being late 50's hope we can handle it. Open to suggestions and as much help as ta members wish to provide. Also totally useless with sat nav so a good road map suggestion would be appreciated.

Thankyou

Julie

Mentioned in this post
Okonjima Bush Camp
Okonjima Bush Camp
570 Reviews
Otjiwarongo, Namibia
3 replies to this topic
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,075 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel times Please

Your driving times are about right. Just take it slowly and don't worry if you run over by an hour.

Always make a good start in the morning, its cooler and you avoid racing the sunset. I get programmed to arrive 14.00 most places even if it means an early start.

Maps.

Freytag & berndt 1:1M is very good and clear.

Trak4Afrika also good paper and App (or chip for Garmin) www.tracks4africa.com

Your Car rental firm should provide Namibian Roads Authority maps.

Roads are good in Namibia. You would have to try very hard to get lost.

Late 50s? That's just maturing nicely! The stamina of the young combined with the wisdom of an adult.

Mentioned in this post
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,446 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel times Please

Being a late 50's when we did our first (and second and third) trip to Namibia, I can tell you, no worries here. Young at heart and wise at head! You will enjoy Namibia.

Mentioned in this post
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
Sydney
Level Contributor
16 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel times Please

Thankyou 50's the new 30's look out world

Reply to: Travel times Please