We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Windhoek to Sesriem via Spreetshoogte

Windhoek to Sesriem via Spreetshoogte

Hi!

Travelling around Namibia in August. We have rented a six-berth Iveco-engined motorhome - is it feasible to travel along the D1261 via Spreetshoogte Pass in a motorhome. Heard that gradient is extreme and trucks, trailers & caravans are restricted.

We have travelled via Gamsberg Pass in a motorhome on a previous visit and it was fine.

Any help or advice is appreciated...

Thanks!

3 replies to this topic
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
19,209 posts
62 reviews
1. Re: Windhoek to Sesriem via Spreetshoogte

To my recollection driving over Gamsberg was more difficult then driving over Spreetshoogte Pass. I see no problem tackling it with Iveco Daily campervan. However, be warned that there will be many kilometers of bumpy roads.

2. Re: Windhoek to Sesriem via Spreetshoogte

Thanks for your reply.

I checked the terms and the rental company restricts the vehicle from travelling on ‘D’ roads so the likely route from Windhoek is B1 > C24/M47 > C14 > C19.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
19,209 posts
62 reviews
3. Re: Windhoek to Sesriem via Spreetshoogte

Well, that rule makes your life much easier (or maybe not) but for sure it keeps you off the Spreetshoogte Pass. Funny thing is that the road over Gamsberg Pass is nominated as C road (C26). Using C26 - C14 is even 10 km shorter then your planned route.

Reply to: Windhoek to Sesriem via Spreetshoogte
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted