We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two weeks in madagascar

Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
Two weeks in madagascar

Any thoughts on 2 weeks of Madagascar with approximately 4 days in Nosy be and Nosy Komba for diving? Debating visiting the north instead of the usual circuit west of Tana. Primarily interested in wildlife and nature , not cities. Can this be done for $3,000 US per person including air travel within the country? Is that a reasonable expectation?

Also, can how can you book a private driver who speaks English without booking through a formal tour company (I.e Kensington, Audley)??

Thanks!!

Mentioned in this post
2 replies to this topic
Perth and Kinross...
Level Contributor
122 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two weeks in madagascar

Hi Evan

We haven't been to the north yet so can't specifically advise you on that but we have travelled to Madagascar 4 times so can give you a general reply to your questions.

Based on what we have spent on our trips I would say your 3000USD budget is possible but may be hard to achieve. We have generally spent between 2600 and 3000GBP per person on our trips. Internal flights are expensive (almost 500 GBP per person round trip) but they are definitely worth taking if you are limited to 2 weeks.

Re. English speaking drivers we travel semi independently (booking ur own flights, hotels etc and using local agencies for more complex arrangements). In the past two years have used the services of Dadamanga Travel. They are a very reputable and honest agency and organise trips across Madagascar. The owner is an Australian guy who has lived in Madagascar for over 20 years but all of the other drivers and guides we met were local people which pleased us as the money we paid was staying in the country. Dadamanga use English speaking guides and were always quick to respond to our messages, therefore I definitely recommend them and personally would use their services again when we return.

If you Google the name you'll find their website as I don't know if it's ok to post that info on here!

I would also suggest (though have not used them) looking at Drive Mada's website as it provides links to drivers all across Madagascar.

Mentioned in this post
J B
London, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two weeks in madagascar

Hi there, just came back from Madagascar, and did the RN7 route so I didn't go to Nosy Be. However, I had quite a reliable driver who spoke English. Follow the link below and just get in touch with them: http://tour-guide-lovemada.mg. You will likely get a prompt response. All the best.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Two weeks in madagascar
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted