We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harar

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Harar

Hello -

I will be traveling to Ethiopia in early November. I am currently on the fence about whether to include Harar in my trip. If anyone has been there recently, your advice is welcome.

Thanks!

Anna

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Harar

p.s. Some of my hesitation is due to Harar's proximity to the Somali border, given recent events in the area.

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Harar

Absolutely no need to worry over that issue. Try searching on here. Look for whirled traveller and other reports on trips. Also look at Bradt Guide to Eth updates pages - it has a good index - go to Harrar. pages

London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Harar

Harar is quite a long bus trip (maybe nine hours, with good scenery) from Addis but you can also fly into Dire Dawa and take a mini bus to Harar. It is safe and somewhat less hassly than other places in Ethiopia can sometimes be. Don't worry about trouble, that is as likely to happen in your hometown. If you haven't been, don't hesitate; go now while things are indeed peaceful (long may they remain so).

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Harar

Yes if you fo think about bus one way eg SalemBus see website, fly the other. The bus journey is long but scenery dramatic and yo see everything from Addis at 2700 metres to the bottom of the Rift Valley at Awash Bridge.

5. Re: Harar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2014, 17:17