We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Omo Valley in Nov./Dec. 2018

6 posts
Save Topic
Omo Valley in Nov./Dec. 2018

Hey, I'm heading to Ethiopia in Nov/Dec. 2018. Or at least I'm planning too. I'm female 31 and solo traveler. Everything sounds pretty accessible and what I read I can do the north completely independently. What I'm starting struggling with is Omo valley.

I would really love to visit those tribes, but the prices seem to be ridicules. I work but still the budget is quite important as one doesn't want to spend all his savings on a vacation. I also don't need any kind of luxury (I've been trekking in Nepal for 1 month). But the prices I was quoted until now are super high. Like for 8 days - 2000 eur. I tried to contact some independent guides but the result was mostly similar. As of agencies I'm not even willing to start to contact them.

Is there any chance that when I come directly to Jinka I could find organize that from there for much less? I'm aware of that Africa is expensive, but seriously... that prices are insane.

As a female I'm not that comfortable with hitchhiking and would still appreciate if I had a guide by my side. Do you have any tips how to do that trip in the affordable way? Thanks a lot! Zuzana

BTW: also if here someone is planning the trip in those months, let me know. Maybe we can build a group together...

Mentioned in this post
5 replies to this topic
Bahir Dar, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Omo Valley in Nov./Dec. 2018

Hi, booking the tour localy on arrival doesn't change the price that much. ..it is better to contact guides or company who made grouping tour. ..that makes Cheeper when share the cost. ..coz as Jinka is small town thier is no plenty of opportunities to compare and choose your guides or company us you wish to do ..you will probably charged more than the online offers...

Addis Ababa...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Omo Valley in Nov./Dec. 2018

Hi,

you can do the Omo valley private, you take the bus to Arbaminch and find guides who can take you to the tribes by motor bikes.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
269 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Omo Valley in Nov./Dec. 2018

If you can get to Arba Minch, you can negotiate a driver and non- 4x4 van for around $100 USD per day, driver & gas included. The vans can get to most of the tribes. You will need to hire a guide at every village. Each village seems to cost around 200 to 300 birr (these are 2017 prices). Plus you need to pay national park fee to visit Mursi. It's better if you find someone to share. I've had good luck with the thorntree - met 2 women to share a van so the cost wasn't to much.

I didn't see a lot of buses around Omo, but it is possible to take these but expect to be waiting for some time and make sure you pack lightly.

Mentioned in this post
Arba Minch
Arba Minch
Southern Nations, Nationalities, and People's Region, Ethiopia
4. Re: Omo Valley in Nov./Dec. 2018

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2018, 18:57

5. Re: Omo Valley in Nov./Dec. 2018

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2018, 18:57

Reply to: Omo Valley in Nov./Dec. 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted