We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Djibouti whale sharks and Lacs trip

Brisbane, Australia
6 posts
Djibouti whale sharks and Lacs trip

Hi,

Like a couple of other forum posters, I am hoping to organise a whale shark snorkelling trip and an overnight trip to Lac Abbe and Lac Assal during my upcoming (very soon!) stay in Djibouti. I'm a solo traveller arriving on 5 January 2014 and I only have a short time in the country, so ideally I'd like to do these activities sometime over 6-8 January.

I've contacted Dolphin Excursions, Lagon Bleu and Agence Safar, and they don't have anything that exactly lines up with these dates (though Dolphin may have something on an alternate day), and I can't afford a private tour. I really need to be able to join an existing group or form a group at short notice.

I'm wondering if there are lots of local tour operators that I could just organise something with at the last minute once I'm in the country (i.e. turn up and book something for the following day)? Or are their limited tour operators and tour groups departing at this time? I've noticed that there are not a lot of operators with websites/online contact details, so it is a bit hard to tell.

If anyone has any insight about this - or if you are interested in forming a group for a whale shark excursion or overnight trip to Lac Abbe and Lac Assal (or another similar day/overnight trip) between 6 and 8 January or sometime around then, please let me know!

Thanks,

Lucy

8 replies to this topic
Fresno, California
2 posts
1. Re: Djibouti whale sharks and Lacs trip

There is a Navy Base there. Contact the MWR ( Morale Welfare and Recreation) at any Navy Base and they could probably start pointing you in the right direction. MWR organizes trips etc. for our Navy Service personnel.

Fresno, California
2 posts
2. Re: Djibouti whale sharks and Lacs trip

There is a US Naval Base there. Contact the MWR (Morale Welfare and Recreation ) at any Navy Base and they can start pointing you in the right direction. MWR puts together all their tours and recreational activities. You may be able to get some Military personnel so you can set up a different dive date.

Croatia
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Djibouti whale sharks and Lacs trip

Hi! My friends and me plan to do snorkling trip to see whale sharks in November, and one day trip to Las Abel or Las Assal. Did you find some travel agent for your trips, and could you give us some suggestions about trip and agents?

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
4. Re: Djibouti whale sharks and Lacs trip

Hi there, I didn't go diving (because out of season) but I can hugely recommend a company that is head and shoulders above anything else in Djibouti. I used Bambu Touristik (Daniel Jean is the owner). I was losing faith in Djibouti then I saw some good reviews about him so I called him the following morning and he organised a superb trip to Lac Assal for me. As he wasn't my guide on the day (I did meet him first things) he called me twice during the day to check I was happy. Can't recommend highly enough.

I also had a problem with my onward flight (which was nothing to do with him) and if was in a real tricky situation in the airport. I called Daniel and he helped me get out of it. Truly superb!

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
76 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Djibouti whale sharks and Lacs trip

Trying to fly to Djibouti mid October 2018 and hope to see the Whale Sharks. It seems the Whale Sharks have arrived by then. Could anyone please let us know the best experience for 2 adults, we are used to back packing every year. Where is the best most inexpensive place to stay and how long will we need. Who is the best boating company to use. Are we able to go on a boat for overnight or longer experience. We love sailing, boating and camping, and islands, and lots of snorkeling. Are there any beautiful islands nearby to enjoy.

We would alsio like to find a great local person, with 4 wheel drive, speaks English who could show use the sites. Thank you in advance.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
419 posts
28 reviews
6. Re: Djibouti whale sharks and Lacs trip

beachmummy,

Djibouti is not cheap. Expect to pay $90+ for a motel in the capital city. $110 per person for whale shark. October really isn't the best time for Whale sharks... late November to February better. I did whale sharks late november last year and was quite disappointed. Only a few small sharks and seemed the fishing/tourist boats were chasing them. By the time you jump in the water they are long gone. Met local expats who said less than 10 years ago there were many more whale sharks.

Tour to the Lakes, expect to pay $600+ for the jeep and overnight at Lake Abbe for two. There are some instructions on how to do it cheaper if you look in forums online, but you still need to rent a jeep for part of the trip.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
74 posts
299 reviews
7. Re: Djibouti whale sharks and Lacs trip

hello marqual, i think to go to djibouti around 25th november: it seems you don't recommend it so much, isn't it?

4 posts
8. Re: Djibouti whale sharks and Lacs trip

Hello,

I tend to agree with Marqual. Local prices are expensive, level of service is not good. The tours are expensive (Sea and Land). And there's not a lot to do.

Logically, if one had the money, one would visit another country.

Reply to: Djibouti whale sharks and Lacs trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted