We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos and fly population.

2 posts
Save Topic
Mosquitos and fly population.

What's the mosquito and fly population like at the moment? We are flying out to Boa vista on Monday, would like an idea how much repellent I need to bring. Thanks

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
12,521 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos and fly population.

Cant give you the answer to your question Donnylove but I would advise you to take all that you have, as repellent is very expensive out there

Finland
Level Contributor
896 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos and fly population.

I have no direct answer either, but mozzies love rain, which could let assume that their population is booming. Yes, bring some spray with you, I wouldn't be surprised if a bottle would cost £20 at the hotel...

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
12,521 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos and fly population.

Yes agree with what Yuke says, the rain does bring out the flies as well. My experience in Sal was that the flies were not too much of a bother, however, they did hang around the food (cakes) that was put out in the open in the afternoons and I wouldn't eat the cakes because of it. The hotels may take more care these days, covering up food, (others may be able to say). I hardly got bitten by mozzies but my wife who is more prone, did get several bites but no more than anywhere else.

But things like suntan cream and repellents are dear, best to take everything you need in that line.

Hope it helps and have a good holiday

2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos and fly population.

Thankyou for the advice, have already packed loads of sun cream and insect repellent !

5. Re: Mosquitos and fly population.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 21:19
Get answers to your questions about Cape Verde