We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sun lotion and beach pop up tents

7 posts
Save Topic
Sun lotion and beach pop up tents

Off to Cape Verde in two weeks time. Starting to think about what to pack... First question, many people keep saying pack a high sun factor, but is that factor 20, 30 or 50, all couple be considered high?

I want to get a tan but don't want to burn - any recommendations on what factor most people were using out there?

Second question, I have a good pop up beach tent that I use in the UK for sandy beaches that is lightweight and would fit in my suitcase and provides shade and protects you from the wind. Is it too windy in Cape Verde to use one of these? Thought it would be handy but don't want to waste packing space if it's not going to get used... Help please?

Lastly, if you packed creams and sprays for the flies did they work or did you still get bitten during the day and night?

Hope you can help. Feel free to throw in any other top tips that you think would be helpful...

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sun lotion and beach pop up tents

Take plenty 30 and 20 and some 50 just in case. Would only go lower if you have skin like shoe leather.

We also took a beach tent, used it more as a wind break, if you got right in it you do appreciate how hot it is (see above) Glad we took it but on lots of occasions it was good to move away from it to feel the breeze.

There were quite a lot of flies at times but nothing too bad. We were there for a fortnight didnt see any mozzies till the second week when the wind dropped.

Only other tip is make sure you pack everything you might need, meds etc as the prices there are horrendous.

Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sun lotion and beach pop up tents

Got back from Cape Verde 2 weeks ago. I would take high factors such as 40 or 50+ i used this for the week and still managed to burn but later managed to go a nice colour.You might not think you would get burnt as sometimes the temperature is deceptive with it being windy and wind burn is worse than sunburn. The wind is welcomed somedays as otherwise temperature would be unbearable.

I would advise taking a cardigan for the nights as sometimes its a little chilly even though i never used it whilst i was there.

Take plenty of medical supplies such as hayfever tablets etc as i suffered an allergic reaction whilst there and this caused my face to puff up so these tablets were vital as things like this are very expensive to buy. My 2 friends were bitten lots by mosquitos i was lucky enough to not be bitten once so take spray or cream.

Went for walks on the beach each day and didnt notice sand being blown around then so not sure whether you would need a tent.

Hope this helps you.

Enjoy your holiday am very jelous, wish i was going back x

7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sun lotion and beach pop up tents

Thanks guys, feel happier about what to pack now. I will make sure I write a review when I get back as sometimes people only bother to write a review if they had a bad experiance.

Can't wait to go!

4. Re: Sun lotion and beach pop up tents

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2010, 16:17
Get answers to your questions about Cape Verde