We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Angola, Zambia or Malawi?

Cariff, Wales
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Angola, Zambia or Malawi?

Hi there,

I have recentley secured a job as a persoal tutor on a game farm in south africa for the owners son.

During march/april next year i will have time to do a bit of traveling.

My plan is:-

Kenya - 1 week holiday (safari/massi mara)

Maritius - 1 week holiday (beech)

I would also like to spend 2 weeks in either malawi, zambia or angola. The mai purpose of the visit would be to emerse myself in the local culture/way of life and carry out some voluntary work (i am a qualified teacher). I would also like to see attractions during the stay.

Any un-biased advice/opinions would be much appreciated! Things i m concerned with are things like; safety, hospitality, opportunity to experience poverty and help for the short period, scenic attracions.

Thanks a lot

1. Re: Angola, Zambia or Malawi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 September 2011, 08:35
Maseru
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Angola, Zambia or Malawi?

Hi, I don't know so much about Zambia or Malawi, but would tell you about Angola. And I am afraid it is not the best place for what you want.

Angola is a huge country and it is very difficult to travel. Rent a car are hugely expensive, and roads are very bad, except for a few stretches that are beeing rebuilt by the Chinese. Local connections by planes are at best unpredictable (in terms of planning), at worst dangerous. While working with the Angolan Red Cross I ve had to wait for 4 days for a flight that was supposed to be daily, and there was no compensation for waiting in the little city - anyhow they would tell you after you wait full day in the airport.

So you'd be most likely stuck in Luanda, that is a vibrant city but also extremely dirty, chahotic, miserable and abusely rich, and utmost expensive. I ve stayed in 100$ rooms with no key, and no running water, and had to find myself lucky.

I dont want to only be negative on the country: it has charming people, great music and atmsophere that you can't forget - but you must be aware of all that, and attractions are not so easy to reach.

You probably will have difficulties to find volunteering jobs for a short period of time, in Angola as somewhere else, unless by prior arrangements. But be aware you should speak Portuguese to do most things there.

If you do speak Portuguese, I would actually recommend you to rather search in Mozambique: it is quite accessible from South Africa and inside the country, it also has many assets in terms of atmosphere and people, and also tourism, and it is less chahotic, so it might be easier to find volunteerring opportunities in Maputo or elsewhere.

If you don't speak Portuguese, may be you'd rather search some English-teaching opportunity or search in an English-speaking country - because in Mozambique as well as Angiola, you won't find many english speakers, and that will make your immersion experience more limited and your volunteer contribution less likely.

You may also think about Lesotho and Swaziland?

Agnes

Maseru
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Angola, Zambia or Malawi?

I ve just bumped into these sites that =could be useful to find volunteering opportunities:

- responsibletravel.com/holidays/volunteer-tra…

- http://www.volunteer-work-africa.com/

Luanda, Angola
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Angola, Zambia or Malawi?

Hi there, Angola is indeed officially THE most expensive place in the world for sure, and Luanda is especially expensive. BUT, the roads are VERY good now, and it is an amazing place. I have spent the last 30 years discovering it and continue to travel extensively here every week. try us at www.eco-tur.com or see pics at pour facebook Eco Tur Angola. Cheers Paul

5. Re: Angola, Zambia or Malawi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2013, 05:13