We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

alcoholics anonymous

Glasgow, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
alcoholics anonymous

Can anyone tell me where to find Alcoholics Anonymous meetings in or around Hammamet please?

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,168 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: alcoholics anonymous

I very much doubt you will find any AA meetings in Tunisia as its a Muslim country.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: alcoholics anonymous

Came across this thread while researching potential AA meetings in Tunisia myself. It's a bit naive to suggest there will be no meetings as it's a Muslim country; addiction is not the preserve of Western, pseudo Christian culture and for that matter AA, is at the very least tolerated in many cultures and by many religions. This page may help: www.alcoholics-anonymous.org.uk/?PageID=66. For example, I worked in The Emirates where there is a thriving, if underground fellowship.

Alcohol is widely available in Tunisia, although you're unlikely to find any drinking in public - mostly hotels and in the home.

I have asked a specific question of AA GB and will come back to this thread as and when.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12,219 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: alcoholics anonymous

I recall this subject being aired on this forum in the past

I cannot locate the thread. I am sure however the poster was told he /she could find AA meetings in Tunisia, and there was a link for such information

Knitter

I have been to Tunisia many times and visited bars full of Tunisian men.Supped with a few !

Mick

I see Alun found the link.. I am sure that will give further info.,Joanna

Mick

Edited: 08 February 2012, 21:25
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: alcoholics anonymous

Likewise, I remember another thread on the subject of AA Tunisia, although I don't think there was anything forthcoming.

Important to remember that Muslim countries (I've worked in many) are as culturally diverse as Christian ones. Tunisia is pretty "liberal", more so than many Western countries imho, lol.

AA UK got back to me and said they don't have any contacts in Tunisia.

Going by previous experiences, there will be some kind of fellowship in Tunis and maybe (but not likely) in other cities like Sfax and Sousse. Going by the relatively small populations and that boozing isn't part of the "way of life" as it is over here, there probably isn't a perceived demand. The reality may well be different.

If I find anything while I'm over there, I'll update this thread.

5. Re: alcoholics anonymous

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 May 2012, 04:35
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: alcoholics anonymous

Hi, can I suggest you contact Alcoholics Anonymous GB?

www.alcoholics-anonymous.org.uk

gso@alcoholics-anonymous.org.uk

+441904644026

They may be able to put you in touch with other groups around the globe and include you on the list of AA groups world wide. Good luck!!

7. Re: alcoholics anonymous

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 21:40