We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to South Africa in February or March 2014

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Going to South Africa in February or March 2014

Hi everyone,

I am an avid traveler and recently became hooked on to tripadvisor. I see that most of you give the best advise! This is my first time asking a question and I appreciate everyone's help/advise :-)

I am planning to go to South Africa for about 10 days in February or March 2014. I want to land in Cape Town and spend a few days there. Other than that, I would like to go to Durban and Johannesburg. I definitely want to go on a safari as well. I am willing to stay at hostels or B&B's. I would prefer not to drive and use public transportation.

Now, my questions -

Can I squueze in 3 places in 10 days?

Is public transportation safe and reliable? Any websites that I can look up their schedules and routes?

What is the best way to travel to Kruger Park?

Thank you all again for your help :)

P.S. This will be my first time in Africa and I am looking forward to it!!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
923 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to South Africa in February or March 2014

Hi Dev, for 10 days it is lot..Ideally you should spend 5 days in Ct, 4 days on garden route, 4 days in Kruger and a day or 2 in Joburg. So visiting Durban on top of it is impossible. In 10 days either you can do CT, garden route and a day in joburg. Or you can do Ct with Kruger for 10 days. But if you use public transportation in Kruger it will very expensive.

Regards,

Kavita

Edited: 26 September 2013, 14:13
Cape Town
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to South Africa in February or March 2014

Hello Dev

Well i must say you will absolutely enjoy your 10 days in South Africa.

Cape Town is a beautiful place to relax and enjoy the nature around :) you can spend 10 days in 3 places, and you might want to spend a little more time in Cape Town then split equal amounts of time for Johannesburg and Durban. Transportation wont be that much of a problem. However, do have enough, to enjoy yourself.

I hope you'll enjoy yourself next year

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to South Africa in February or March 2014

Thank you for your responses. I will probably skip Durban and spend the rest of my time in Cape Town and Kruger. I didn't realize that Kruger National Park will take 3-4 days!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to South Africa in February or March 2014

3-4 days is usually the minimum recommended time in Kruger. The park is the size of a small country like Isreal, so you could spend 2 weeks there and still not have covered the entire park. But 3/4 days is great for a start. IN CPT it is very easy to use public transport. Have alook at the hop-on-hop-off buses, the myciti buses as well as the trains between CPT and Simonstown/Kalkbay/Newlands and maybe even Stellenbosch. The taxis is also reasonably priced if you want to get between points within the city. In Johannesburg you are more limited as everything is spread out, I suggest you stay near one of the Gautrain stops, either Sandton or Rosebank. Then their is also a HOHO bus and metered taxis are easy to use and only slightly more expensive than in CPT in my experience. We usually use Zebra taxis. Your problems comes with Kruger National Park. There are road transfers/flights to the surrounding towns but you'll ideally need a car to self drive especially if you want to stay inside the park. If you stay outside the park you can go on game drives with tour operators but these work out at approx. R600+ a day as far as my knowledge goes.

5. Re: Going to South Africa in February or March 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2014, 14:18