We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seychelles in just over 2 weeks - or cancel

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
93 reviews
131 helpful votes
Seychelles in just over 2 weeks - or cancel
Save

Hi

We just don't know what to do. We have flights in just over 2 weeks to the Seychelles for over Christmas from the UK. They are operated with Ethiopian Airlines but we booked them with Singapore Krisflyer points.

We have booked hotels but no ferries yet and we need to decide if we should cancel our trip as the hotel's we have booked take 50% of the money on 8th December so we need to make a decision before then.

As yet neither Seychelles or Ethiopia is on the red list but the worry is if that changes whilst we are out there.

11 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Seychelles in just over 2 weeks - or cancel
Save

Do the hotels have refund policies for if you can’t travel due to covid? It might depend who you booked through. At the start of the pandemic I know booking.com was rubbish and left it up to the owners to decide. I think Ethiopian airlines allows you to change your flight dates doesn’t it? Is there a last date you can do this?

On a side note doesn’t it rain a lot in December in Seychelles? We are thinking of going in March and we’re still a little worried about it being the wet season then.

Fingers crossed for you!

6 posts
2. Re: Seychelles in just over 2 weeks - or cancel
Save

I am supposed to fly from Nairobi to Seychelles on the 17th. I don't know what to do. My biggest concern is for things to change while I am there or on route there. I've been glued to the news and message boards for the past two days.

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
93 reviews
131 helpful votes
3. Re: Seychelles in just over 2 weeks - or cancel
Save

That's the day after us!

6 posts
4. Re: Seychelles in just over 2 weeks - or cancel
Save

My flight leaves Chicago on the 10th so I need to decide before then. I also have until the 10th to cancel my resort in Seychelles. I don't think I can cancel the safari, but they might let me move it to next year. Everything else is refundable, I just have to decide. What are you waiting on before deciding?

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
93 reviews
131 helpful votes
5. Re: Seychelles in just over 2 weeks - or cancel
Save

Our hotels are booked with Agoda and we have 3 different hotels as we are doing 3 different islands. We have until 7th December to cancel the first hotel otherwise we lose 50%. I would hope by then we have made a decision. I just need to confirm with our travel insurance if we do fly we are covered if the situation changes with the red list and we need to get back quickly.

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
7,400 posts
535 reviews
848 helpful votes
6. Re: Seychelles in just over 2 weeks - or cancel
Save

Seychelles already banned the foreign travellers coming from South Africa, Eswatini, Lesotho, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Namibia to enter the country starting from Nov27th. Sincerely speaking I would not cancel the trip because chances are quite slim for Seychelles to be included on the red list. Go and enjoy Paradise, for some people it’s a once in a lifetime experience. We have a trip to Uganda at mid December and we are not going to cancel it even if we might enter a quarantine of 14 days if our Government will consider so.

Seychelles will not report any case of Omnicron I am pretty sure, probably you know already why…

Miki

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
93 reviews
131 helpful votes
7. Re: Seychelles in just over 2 weeks - or cancel
Save

We have cancelled. The issue for us is in the end was our flights with Ethiopian, the FCO is advising against flights even those in transit to ADD to Ethiopia and it would have made our travel insurance void. I also think it was risky that if the situation changed whilst we were away we could have ended up in a situation where our insurance wouldn't cover us. We used our Singapore Krisflyer miles and we can now look to rebook another time but we just couldn't take the risk with the airline. I'm gutted.

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
93 reviews
131 helpful votes
8. Re: Seychelles in just over 2 weeks - or cancel
Save

Oh Miki enjoy Uganda - it was our last holiday before lockdown and Covid and we spent Christmas/NY away. We did Tanzania including the Serengeti and hiking Kili, Uganda and gorilla and chimp trekking, camping on a volcano in DRC and ending in Rwanda. It was on of my top trips - absolutely amazing.

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
7,400 posts
535 reviews
848 helpful votes
9. Re: Seychelles in just over 2 weeks - or cancel
Save

I am really sorry that you had to cancel your trip Rachel. You had an amazing trip in Central Eastern Africa, It’s great to hear that you highly enjoy it.

Rwanda is still on our list of places to travel but for the moment it is not so appealing/affordable like Uganda. And because the airlines are continuing to change the flight times we have decided to visit just Uganda at this stage. Qatar Airways has changed 4 times our flights from Doha to Entebbe and back creating a mess in our itinerary, we had to change our flight back to Bucharest one day after our original flight schedule. DRC is not safe at the moment so it is a no go for us. We are travelling extensively also this year, we have been until yesterday to Slovenia now we are in Budapest but of course travelling these days can become a nightmare if a new covid variant shows up or a new wave of Covid is appearing at horizon.

I hope to see you back on the drawing map of Seychelles soon.

Stay safe!

Miki

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
93 reviews
131 helpful votes
10. Re: Seychelles in just over 2 weeks - or cancel
Save

Thanks Miki, we are looking to reschedule end of April, beginning of May which I think is a good time to go (flights will still be from Ethiopian but hopefully everything will be ok there then). Have an amazing trip

Reply to: Seychelles in just over 2 weeks - or cancel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.