We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi to and from restaurant

all over
Level Contributor
43 posts
75 reviews
Taxi to and from restaurant

Hi all

I will be in Marrakech in 2 weeks staying in the medina. One evening I would like to visit restaurant Barometre near Gueliz but first I would like to walk to the Royal Mansour hotel bar near to the Cyber Park. From a past trip I seem to remember a taxi zone close to the cyber park and Ensemble Artisan shopping. Is it reasonable to expect I will pick up a taxi there around 8pm (bearing in mind it is Ramadan) to take me to the restaurant? And how about the return?

Thanks

10 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Taxi to and from restaurant

I am no expert on Marrakech but think the chances of a taxi at 8pm during Ramadan are slim. They would be non-existent in the coastal towns and nearly so in Casablanca.

The return should be fine.

Please suck on a mint if you have been drinking. This isn't out of any misplaced "respect" for religion, but simply in case someone gets in who normally drinks and can't because of the fast - they probably wouldn't like to be reminded of their frustration..

penna
Level Contributor
4,081 posts
40 reviews
2. Re: Taxi to and from restaurant

even during Ramadan I did not have problems getting a cab. ( maybe little longer wait)

i figured it was the having to still pay the cab loan fee, might as well try and make something.

and i agree with the suck on a mint. a little respect goes a long way ( same for smoking where others can see you)

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,225 posts
130 reviews
3. Re: Taxi to and from restaurant

well sunset at the moment is around 7:15pm so you can forget about getting a taxi anytime around that as all drivers will be going to break their fasts, maybe by around 8pm they will be back on the road

you can probably ask the restaurant to call you a taxi when you leave - if not then the main Gueliz taxi rank is not far away from Barometre - opposite Hotel Renaissance, next to Cafe Atlas

Edited: 15 May 2018, 08:52
4. Re: Taxi to and from restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 May 2018, 19:35

London, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: Taxi to and from restaurant

Stop harassing me please.

London, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: Taxi to and from restaurant

When the OP is here, sunset time will be 7.31pm. I am not sure that many drivers will be out and about within 30 minutes of that time. It takes 30 minutes to eat a proper "respectful" ftour.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,547 posts
60 reviews
7. Re: Taxi to and from restaurant

Hi there.

PickledHerrings is anyway ..pretty right..!

It is difficult indeed for sure..to find a cab just after the following moment after breaking the fast..

( Called Iftar in Arab )

People did not eat or drink in the all day and need a rest what all might understand easily.

Regarding alcohol, right.Might be a problem in the day time if drunk..as smoking cigarettes in the public areas ..when the heavy smokers have to wait at least the all day.

A part of it..right too.." Frustration & co " is maybe not appropriated here as suggested Spotboy...especially for the ones religious indeed who will not consider this " Holly Period " as a frustration ..but a chance.

You might find some cabs anyway after a little while.

Some moment to avoid is the precise 30 mn before the rupture of the fast as all drive very quickly indeed ..to come back home and usually not in the mood to take some customers which is again easy to get.

Hope it will help.

Faithfully,Olli.

all over
Level Contributor
43 posts
75 reviews
8. Re: Taxi to and from restaurant

Thanks for the info.

I will not be smoking, nor will I be drunk.

I was thinking 8pm may be slim for expecting a taxi, I will move the restaurant booking to later in that case.

But, I was concerned about getting back. I'm sure taxis will be out, but near the restaurant? Is there a rank or taxi zone in that area?

Thanks

all over
Level Contributor
43 posts
75 reviews
9. Re: Taxi to and from restaurant

I am sorry, I have now read nibrika's comment properly regarding cabs after the meal.

Thanks for your answer and help.

penna
Level Contributor
4,081 posts
40 reviews
10. Re: Taxi to and from restaurant

I know not the most comfy option but if you can stop a taxi . You can always take the bus 4dh .

Reply to: Taxi to and from restaurant
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted