We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using passport copies for check-in and driving around

Level Contributor
15 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Using passport copies for check-in and driving around

Hi all,

I am going to rent a car but the agency request to held my passport as I don't have any credit cards.

My question is, if I used a copy of it while my trip, will i face any problem in check-in or with police while traveling?

Also, If anyone knows an agency who makes rentals from marrakech and drop in casablanca with no passport hold please write it down!

Thanks

9 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Using passport copies for check-in and driving around

I would never give someone my passport to hold for several days or hours. It is the most important document for a foreign tourist. I would give them a photocopy and keep the original.

If they refuse, there are other rental agencies.

Edited: 15 May 2018, 01:33
Level Contributor
15 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using passport copies for check-in and driving around

Would you recommend one without taking big amount of money as a warranty or held the passport?

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
11,908 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using passport copies for check-in and driving around

You don’t state your nationality but you are not allowed to use a British passport as security.

Also, you need your passport for hotels and police checks.

Never, ever, get separated from your passport. What would you do if you took the car back and they couldn’t find the passport?

penna
Level Contributor
2,895 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using passport copies for check-in and driving around

I have to agree, i would never do this.

not to mention there are hotels that do not accept a copy of your passport instead of the real thing.

not to mention any policeman who might stop you along the way also not accepting your photo copy as valid.

to leave your passport is to walk down a very dangerous road.

penna
Level Contributor
2,895 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using passport copies for check-in and driving around

maybe best to just use public transport instead of a rental car , public transport in morocco is very good.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,009 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using passport copies for check-in and driving around

I've heard there are some agencies who will accept a cash deposit rather than credit card on the car rental. I don't know any personally though

But it does complicate matters if you want to drop it in a different city than you pick up

Taroudant, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,848 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using passport copies for check-in and driving around

Ahmad, I think you ought to seriously consider using public transportation.

Never give anyone your passport except to just look at it when you are checking into a hotel.

Level Contributor
1,431 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Using passport copies for check-in and driving around

"public transport in Morocco is very good."

Comicman, you have had very different experiences than me! Public transportation in Morocco is passable at best. Definitely not very good or even good. Singapore and Hong Kong have excellent public transportation. Munich and Berlin too. Not Morocco. Cheap yes, but the trains and buses are often late. I took the train today, it looks at least 40 years old.

Level Contributor
15 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Using passport copies for check-in and driving around

Thanks all!

I have encountered a couple of agencies who accept a cash deposit as a guarantee till i return the car

Veecarz.com

and

http://www.jrainirentcar.com/

Thanks all once again!

Reply to: Using passport copies for check-in and driving around
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted