We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendation for Atlas Mountains day trip?

Level Contributor
19 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendation for Atlas Mountains day trip?

We're off to Morocco for the first time in just over a week, we're really looking forward to it.

We only have a couple of days in Marrakech itself before moving on but would like to spend one of the days on a day trip out of the city.

We are a family of four (two adults, two teenagers). I'd like to think we're quite adventurous and ideally we'd like a trip that takes us out in to the Atlas Mountains to experience the countryside and villages, preferably something where we're not going to see too many other tourists.

If anyone could recommend a trip I'd be grateful. Also, if it's allowed would be happy to receive recommendations for particular companies to use if you've had a good experience of this kind of trip.

Thank you

M & A Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips
Rough Tours
Cultural Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Marrakech Guided Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
3 replies to this topic
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,751 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendation for Atlas Mountains day trip?

Personally I like Ouirgane because it's not very touristy like Ourika these days.

Your hotel or Riad will be able to help but just a point, if you only have a couple of days in Marrakech you will barely touch the surface of the city.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,973 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendation for Atlas Mountains day trip?

The temperature in Marrakech (450m above sea level) tomorrow is forecast to be 43ºC in the shade, and will appear far hotter in direct sunlight. The overnight low in Marrakech is forecast to be 30ºC so no real relief. Generally my advice is to get up REAL EARLY in the mornings to take advantage of the relative cool (not that 30ºC is cool), and then to have a siesta from 2pm until 7pm.

Hopefully in a week's time it might be a bit cooler, but in circumstances like this I either head for the coast or the mountains. Tomorrow's forecast for Ouirgane (1,000m) is 37ºC, Imlil (1,750m) is 28ºC. I know which I would prefer!

Getting to Imlil: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293… and also https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293…

Level Contributor
19 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendation for Atlas Mountains day trip?

Thanks for your replies both. Following your recommendations I've looked at both Ouirgane and Imlil. I like the look of them both, and just from looking at pictures am probably leaning towards Imlil. I'll also ask in our Riad as well when we get there and see what they have to say.

@shimmin2robertson I know what you're saying, we are really only going to have one full day in Marrakech itself but we're trying to pack a fair bit in to a fairly short space of time.

Thanks again.

Reply to: Recommendation for Atlas Mountains day trip?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted