We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shrimp trucks...

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
380 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
shrimp trucks...

are we able to get to the shrimp trucks without a car? In all the years we have been coming to Oahu, we still have not been to the shrimp trucks...and really would like to get there...but don't want to get a car. Can we do it by The Bus?

Paradise Cove Luau
928 reviews
from USD 92.00*
Turtle Canyon Snorkel Cruise by...
89 reviews
from USD 85.88*
Pearl Harbor Tour From Honolulu
117 reviews
from USD 42.93*
Big Island Day Trip: Volcanoes...
417 reviews
from USD 467.28*
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,014 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: shrimp trucks...

Yes, most of the shrimp trucks have a bus stop nearby.

Giovanni's in Kahuku & Romy's just west of Kahuku do for sure.

You can also try Blue Water Shrimp & Seafood at International Market Place.

Giovanni's also has a truck in Haleiwa.

Edited: 10 June 2012, 23:58
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,392 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shrimp trucks...

I am not sure you are missing a whole lot. I just don't get the shrimp trucks. Yes the shrimp is okay, but it is no better or different than you can get at most good seafood restaurants. If they were some unique food, like a lau lau truck or a saimin truck, I might get it, but not with shrimp.

I sure as heck wouldn't do a 5 hour round trip on The Bus for it.

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,439 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shrimp trucks...

scottca - me neither !! LOL

just go eat at the Blue Water at IMP.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
380 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shrimp trucks...

Thanks everyone for your replies...the time on the bus I actually don't mind...it affords us time to talk to locals (which we love) and also to see other areas of the island we would otherwise miss. I will post our experience if we decide to go. Mahalo and Aloha

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
325 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: shrimp trucks...

Shrimp trucks are amazing, defiantly visit one on the north shore via bus!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,629 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: shrimp trucks...

Scott I agree -- and am amazed that there are so many "shrimp trucks" in Hawaii where there is no real local shrimp. Sorry i dont consider shrimp grown in a pond local. I think it's funny -- I'd much rather eat local fish, which you can't get in so many places. Oh well -- to each his own. Also not sure I'd enjoy a long bus trip around the island for any reason. .. But a long bus trip in Hawaii is a heck of a lot better than sitting in my office, anyway :)

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: shrimp trucks...

@konagirl,

If shrimp grown in a local pond is not "local", what do you call it?

I personally think the shrimp is great, but I wouldn't make a special trip for it. I'm up on the north shore a lot when I visit, so we'll stop for some shrimp (usually at Tita's Grill, as you can get many other items...not just shrimp).

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,868 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: shrimp trucks...

I love the chicken katsu I get at Fumi's!! Local Kahuku sweet corn too!!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,629 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: shrimp trucks...

Kailua, all a matter of opinion, and possibly semantics. IMO, shrimp should come from the ocean. I expect that many people eating at the shrimp trucks think that the shrimp is from the oceans around Hawaii ... but perhaps I am wrong.

So it is grown locally -- I'll give you that. But it's not like real, wild, local fish. At least not to me. I'll stick with eating shrimp on the gulf, in Florida and along the east coast ... more shrimp at the shrimp trucks in Hawaii for those who love them :)

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
380 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: shrimp trucks...

Yes, I heard the local sweet corn is really delicious....will definitely get this. mahalo.