We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moana Surfrider Beach Bar vs Royal Hawaiian Mai Tai Bar

Long Island City...
Level Contributor
446 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Moana Surfrider Beach Bar vs Royal Hawaiian Mai Tai Bar

Who's got the better island drinks?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,644 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moana Surfrider Beach Bar vs Royal Hawaiian Mai Tai Bar

I liked the drinks better at the Mai Tai Bar (though reviews I've read say they can be hit or miss), but I enjoyed the setting much more at the Surfrider Beach Bar, under the banyan tree. If I were to pick between them, for my next visit, I'd happily choose the Moana Surfrider Beach Bar.

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,448 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moana Surfrider Beach Bar vs Royal Hawaiian Mai Tai Bar

I agree with grandeau about enjoying the Beach Bar at the Moana better, but the drinks are lousy !! Drink a bottled beer and it's a great place to sit and enjoy Hawaii. My wife likes the fru-fru drinks and sent two different ones back last time we were there in October last year. I tasted them both and had to agree they were not good or really even drinkable.

For best mai-tai's we go to the Shorebird in the Outrigger Reef. Happy hour is like all day until 6 PM and mai-tai's are $3.50 if I remember correctly. Not as good atmosphere as the Moana Beach Bar but it is still right on the beach and if you lurk a little, you can get a table right by the windows overlooking the water.

Duke's is also a good place for Island drinks (and pretty decent food too), but it is a little more noisy but a great time.

Lot's of people like Rumfire at the Sheraton and it has a nice ambiance but drinks are not great there in my opinion.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moana Surfrider Beach Bar vs Royal Hawaiian Mai Tai Bar

As far as drinkquality, Mai Tai is bettter, they do sell a original Mai Tai, along with some others including the Ellen. But I agree under the Moana Banyan tree with a steel guitar is just the best.

Austin, TX
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moana Surfrider Beach Bar vs Royal Hawaiian Mai Tai Bar

They aren't that far apart - try em both! We were at the Royal Hawaiian and loved the Mai Tai bar and we loved the Moana bar too!

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Moana Surfrider Beach Bar vs Royal Hawaiian Mai Tai Bar

The food and the drinks are better at the Mai Tai bar. The drink and the food "menus" at the Banyan Tree are very limited and their food is pretty bad. That's sad because I would rather SIT under the Banyan Tree and absorb the ambiance rather than the Mai Tai bar. I have been known to take my coffee and paper in the morning and sit under the Banyan Tree. Quiet and beautiful. No hassles.

Neither one has particularly good service.

Long Island City...
Level Contributor
446 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moana Surfrider Beach Bar vs Royal Hawaiian Mai Tai Bar

Thanks guys we went to the Mai Tai bar on our last trip but it was at night so we really didn't get to enjoy the ambiance as much. Sound's like Surfrider has better views though so definitely giving it a try this trip. Stinks that the drinks are lame because they look so pretty.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,285 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moana Surfrider Beach Bar vs Royal Hawaiian Mai Tai Bar

The Moana is the better experience especially when the entertainment is happening. It harkens back to the days when Hawaii Calls was broadcast from the Banyan Court to the world introducing Hawaii to the world.

The House Without A Key at the Halekulani is still my favorite cocktail lounge on the beach.

While the video below as some cheesy moments, it is also the best quality and shows well what the experience is like at the Halekulani.

www.youtube.com/watch…

Edited: 04 March 2012, 09:39
Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moana Surfrider Beach Bar vs Royal Hawaiian Mai Tai Bar

Right on, ScottCA075. Halekulani's HWAK is wonderful. The Mai Tai is perfect. The coconut cake is to die for. Kanoe Miller's hula dancing and the music are the best. The best cocktail experience possible....for old people.

Duke's on Sunday afternoon after the canoe races simply rocks. The winning coed team "adopted" my wife and me, and, oh my goodness, if I could only give back 40 years! Must be the company because I really don't remember how the Mai Tai was.

Tried Moana Surfrider under the banyan tree once...great ambience, not so great food, and even less wonderful service.

If I get back there this summer, HWAK and Duke's for sure!!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,847 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moana Surfrider Beach Bar vs Royal Hawaiian Mai Tai Bar

Between the two choices you gave, our family favorite(5 adults) is the Mai Tai at the Moana Surfrider. We take the test each time and like the drink there the best.

Sure is fun to test them up and down the beach.

Long Island City...
Level Contributor
446 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moana Surfrider Beach Bar vs Royal Hawaiian Mai Tai Bar

COCONUT CAKE say you RockyTopEngineer!?! 'Nough said coconut cake is my favorite :-D