We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June 2014

Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Topic
June 2014

Dh and I traveled to Oahu and Maui in October and had a wonderful vacation. We are planning on going back with our to be 14 and 12 year old daughters. We live in Michigan and due to that we want to be gone for at least 2 weeks which means waiting until school is over - so mid-June.

What is the weather in June compared to October? How will be the crowds be? I'm guessing there will be more families there.....

What other island would you suggest, other than Maui and why?

Emily

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,413 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June 2014

Well, if you had two full weeks, you could do two islands. I am presuming you do want to return to Maui, so I would make the other island Kauai. In the summer, the northshore beaches are calm, which is the opposite during the winter seasons. Kauai is stunningly beautiful - especially on the northshore during the summer months. Weather is usually great - but it is a busy time for families, so do book early.

However, it really depends on your girls - they may like Oahu or even the Big Island . . . what all does your family like to do? Outdoor adventures? shopping? Both Kauai and the Big Island are more rural. Good luck - good thing you are early on your planning! :)

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,121 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June 2014

Well you already know about the vacation lost at the airport when moving in a 2 week vacation. Your hassle may vary! June will find many, many more families vacationing just like you when the kids are out of school.

Weather should be great on all the Islands. I would pick either Maui OR Kauai for a first time visit for your girls and just really enjoy the island! Both are great!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June 2014

I wouldn't worry about the weather. Yes, October is low season; June is high season. School is out and you'll find more family vacationers, and visitors in general. So plan ahead for flights, cars, accomodations.

Go as early as you can in June.

Count your nights, not your weeks. If you have at least 10 nights - two islands are doable. I would take the kids to Oahu and Maui. A nice balance.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,927 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June 2014

June won't be as hot as October and yes, it's a bit more crowded being the beginning of the summer season. At the ages your kids are now, I suggest you split your time between Oahu and Maui. They are of a prime age to go to the USS Arizona Memorial. Something I believe every American should do, if possible, during their life time.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,277 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June 2014

We are going for the first time in mid june this year as our daughter is going with us and she is a teacher I wanted to go as soon as we possibly could in the summer as I feel july and august will be much busier with more families with kids and just more people in general.

I also think Maui and Oahu are a good split Oahu is a great island to learn about the history of Hawaii we enjoyed the bishop Museum immensely and I agree with msfuzz every American should visit the USS Arizona Memorial if possible we visit it every trip we go to Oahu I have been there 5 times and it's always a moving experience. Besides that Oahu has some awesome beaches the North Shore beaches will be great and I know it's not for everybody but everyone should experience Waikiki at least once.

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: June 2014

as someone that's married to a teacher, and therefore has traveled enough during peaks seasons, I'll say it doesn't matter. Mid-June vs July. You won't notice the difference. we've found late Aug the 'slower' of the summer months - but not by much. Go when it works for you.

The peak times of Xmas, spring break and older (like me) people-season, Jan thru March clog roads as much as kids clog beaches in summer. But you are in Hawaii. How bad can it be? It's easy to avoid crowds and traffic with a little planning.

Have a great trip.

7. Re: June 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2014, 15:18