We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What exactly is in POG?

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,214 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
What exactly is in POG?

Passion, orange,guava, right?? Does anyone have a bottle or carton of POG in front of them right now? Would you mind sharing the exact ingredients? Is it just those three juices, or are there other ingredients?

POG is yummy no matter what. I would feel better if it was 100% juice. Just curious.

Are there other island juice blends that anyone recommends, and where can we get them?

Mahalo

Sask
Level Contributor
700 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What exactly is in POG?

I'm pretty sure it's a fruit beverage and not a 100% juice blend. It would be a lot more expensive if it was all juice. Are you supposed to be counting calories and checking nutrition labels when on holidays? j/k

Nebraska
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What exactly is in POG?

Ingredients listed: water, sugar, guava puree, passion fruit juice, concentrated orange juice, citric acid, sodium citrate, pectin, etc We love it - its Maui to us.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,879 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What exactly is in POG?

There is only one real brand of POG, that is Meadow Gold. And yes, it's full of other things that aren't really good for us, but boy does it taste good in the rum!! For 100% fruit juice, I buy Dole combo, pineapple mango, or other variations.

Edited: 04 March 2012, 05:00
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
635 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What exactly is in POG?

Delicious, that's what it is!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What exactly is in POG?

Although POG and similar local drinks are commonly called "juice" in the islands....

Almost all their labels say they contain less than 10% real juice.

For the most part, they are just sugary punch. No better than a soda from a nutritional perspective.

Over the last couple of decades there has been a concerted campaign to educate parents such drinks are not a replacement for real fruit juice for their kids.

Some people feel, at least, that the use of sugar is a superior alternative to the corn syrup and artificial sweeteners found in some of the brands.

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What exactly is in POG?

msfuzz is my kinda gal. she adds juice to her rum....and not vice versa...lol.

Morgan Hill...
Level Contributor
76 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What exactly is in POG?

I have a carton of Sun Tropics POG that I get from my local Whole Foods Market. The carton says 100% Juice No Sugar Added.

INGREDIENTS: Filtered Water, Orange Juice from Concentrate, Pineapple Concentrate, Guava Purée, Natural Flavors, Vegetable Juice (Natural Color), Absorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Citric Acid.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,667 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What exactly is in POG?

Vegetable Juice??? I think you got a VOG by accident.

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,214 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What exactly is in POG?

Thanks everyone for the info and insight on this Hawaiian classic. Guess I was just hoping to get one (or more) of those daily produce servings with my rum! Last trip I did get the Dole mango blend and loved that too, msfuzz. Sounds like the Whole Foods POG has pineapple instead of passion fruit, but it is real juice. Isn't the P in original POG passion fruit? And isn't passion fruit the same as lilikoi? It's all good and better with rum. Now what kind of rum?

VOG, LOL! I( think they use a drop of beet juice for color.)

Edited: 04 March 2012, 08:24
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What exactly is in POG?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

People who live here usually refer to POG or any other type of fruit flavored drink (Aloha Maid drinks, fruit punch, etc.) as "juice" - altho' everyone knows it is about 99.9% sugar! lol There is a little fruit juice in there somewhere though!

Still - it's what it is called!

Malama Pono,

Janet