We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May 1st, Lei Day

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
22,787 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
May 1st, Lei Day

Okay, I know it is early still, but I can't help it! We are returning to Maui, landing on April 30th, so we will be there for Lei Day. In 2010 when we were there with our kids, we attended the Maui Onion Festival at Whaler's on May 1st. While we were in Maui last week, my husband saw an article in one of the many magazines about the onion festival being held in August. Is there anyone there can confirm that this will be the case in 2012? Are there any festivities for Lei Day in Kihei? I think Kapalua puts on a lot of activities on this day as well. Mahalo!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
44,088 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May 1st, Lei Day

Aloha,

The Onion Festival is always held in May--the mag you read was totally wrong! Here's a link to the website:

www.whalersvillage.com/onionfestival.htm

Normally, the Brothers Cazimero also do their Lei Day concert over at the MACC on or near May 1. That's something you would really enjoy. Here's a link to the MACC's website calender:

http://www.mauiarts.org/calendar.html

Brothers Caz aren't shown yet, but keep your fingers crossed!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
22,787 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May 1st, Lei Day

Thanks for the info sw. My husband actually took in all the cooking demos that day and he has attempted to duplicate them here at home. Can't get the Maui onions, but we buy Walla Walla onions, grown in Washington. Not as good of course!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
22,787 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May 1st, Lei Day

sw, Saturday, April 28th, at the Castle Theater, 7:30, Brothers Caz are shown as doing their Lei Day concert. We land on the 30th so we'll miss them. Shucks!

4. Re: May 1st, Lei Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 08:17