We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for what to do in Maui with 83-yr old Mom

Which Maui hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
59 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for what to do in Maui with 83-yr old Mom

We are leaving in about a week for Maui; hubby & I are traveling with my 83-yr old mom. She can not do a lot of walking so I'm looking for ideas for interesting activities that don't involve a lot of walking. We plan to visit Haleakala for sunset & also drive the road to Hana. I was looking at visiting one of the many botanical gardens on Maui but it appears as though they involve a lot of walking as well. Any creative ideas? We will stay on the west side and will be in Maui for 6 days.

United States
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for what to do in Maui with 83-yr old Mom

Beach

Eat out by the water at sunset!

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
19,831 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for what to do in Maui with 83-yr old Mom

Aloha,

You could rent a mobility scooter or a wheelchair so your mom can see the wonderfull gardens.

Have a great time,

Aloha

Conneaut Lake...
Level Contributor
69 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for what to do in Maui with 83-yr old Mom

If you are going up Haleakala, you may want to stop off at Kula Lodge on the way up -- great restaurant, crafts, and a garden area that is pretty compact.

Hanging out at Whaler's Village could work -- Hula Grill is a great place to sit, have dinner, watch the sunset, and compact shopping.

The little shopping area by Alexander's Fish in Kihei is pretty compact -- kiosks and booths.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6,887 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for what to do in Maui with 83-yr old Mom

Don't forget the drive to Makawao and watching the windsurfers near Paia. There are some really nice drives around Maui.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for what to do in Maui with 83-yr old Mom

Have you considered a walker for this trip? Or like Jet said rent a wheelchair for one or two activities. My mom does not need a walker or wheelchair per se but she tires easliy and walks quite slow, the walker makes it soooooooo much easier and the wheelchair was a MUST at the airport, she was a bit hesitant at first but when I told her she had to do a lot of walking on a recent Portland trip she agreed, she is glad we had both.

Has she ever been to Hawaii? If not what about a Luau?

If you are wine people then the winery is a great option, not much to walk while there, beautiful grounds, georgeous views and great drive upcountry and free wine :-) You may want to consider that as part of your Haleakala visit.

I would consider dinners at nice restaurants with amazing Maui views and maybe some music, like suggested earlier at the Hula Grill. The cliff diving ceremony with dinner, or free Hula shows at the KBH or Whalers Village.

Enjoy and let us know how it goes!

Edited: 14 September 2011, 22:54
Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,391 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for what to do in Maui with 83-yr old Mom

Ditto the mobility scooter idea. Many are very compact. My 83yo mother-in-law just bought one and she's a scooter demon now!!

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for what to do in Maui with 83-yr old Mom

My mom wanted to do the submarine ride in Lahaina and loved it (it doesn't really fully submerge)

We drove upcountry to the winery and she loved seeing that. We bought sandwiches at the deli across the street and had a picnic in the pretty little park outside the winery. Lovely day.

We all had fun at Old Lahaina Luau.

Princeville, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
41,310 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for what to do in Maui with 83-yr old Mom

Be careful going up Haleakala. Altitude sickness can effect the older folks more than us. A picnic upcountry is great idea!! There will be a lot of getting in and out of the car during your Hana journey, she up for that? I too suggest a luau, especially if she's never been.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for what to do in Maui with 83-yr old Mom

Hi

When my Mum was not moving well we took a beach chair and put it in the ocean at Baby Beach. She sat in the water and there were no waves to knock her over.

Also the Maui Tropical Tram was good. Not a thriller but comfortable and pleasant.

There is an elevator up to teh Whalers Village Whaling museum.

Sunset at the Royal Lahaina. Dropped Mum at the front door and went to the bar/restaurant. Great oceanfront casual dining with a singer, torch lighting and a hula dancer.

Also check for Queen Kaahumanus Shopping Center for Kaamaina nights. Very good free entertainment and lots of residents attend.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
39,821 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for what to do in Maui with 83-yr old Mom

Aloha,

Pareo said: "My mom wanted to do the submarine ride in Lahaina and loved it (it doesn't really fully submerge)".

The submarine (Atlantis) most certainly DOES fully submerge, and she would have to climb in and out of it from a tender boat.

There is a SEMI-submersible tour called "Reefdancer". It's so-so.

Frankly, I'd rather spend less money and go to the Maui Ocean Center. It's way better, has plenty of places to sit and rest, and if you want, a good restaurant there as well , Seascape.

I absolutely agree with both the wheelchair in the airport-OGG is a long walk to baggage claim. I also think you should really consider either a travel wheelchair or a scooter for her. Contact Gammie's--they are a great company and you can either pick something up or have them deliver. Here's their website: http://www.gammie.com/

Lahaina town can be problematic. The sidewalks are uneven and not always continuous. Be careful. If you have a disabled parking placard, bring it, as it will of course be honored here.

Do be cautious, as Fuzzy mentioned, of the altitude issue with Haleakala. The twists and turns on the Road to Hana may also prove too much for your mom.

Other pleasant drives would include going up to Kapalua and wandering through it, perhaps stopping at the Ritz for lunch. Drive up north as far as the "State highway Ends" sign, very different scenery and some wonderful views.

Edited: 15 September 2011, 04:51