We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help me choose our "recreation activity"

Manila
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Topic
help me choose our "recreation activity"

which is the best and why?

A----Ocean Kayak and Turtle Adventure

Experience the Valley Island from a different perspective as you paddle gently along Maui’s golden coast. This kayak adventure opens you to the world that exists both above and below the ocean. Safe and wonderfully unique, this paddling adventure is perfect for both first-time and seasoned paddlers.

The kayaks are designed for a comfortable ride that’s easy to learn so that soon you will be navigating the calm ocean current to remote coral reefs. There you can dive in and see what the ocean holds for you while you snorkel ; green turtles, Hawaiian tropical reef fish or even a spinner dolphin.

B---- Ocean Rafting Adventure

Explore the uninhabited island of Molokini. Skim across the waves aboard a rigid hulled inflatable boat to catch spectacular views of Haleakala’s slopes. The ride is fast and fun as you cut through the waves.

The adventure is ideal for those who wish to enjoy the crystal clear waters and abundant marine life at Molokini. Once briefed, and fitted with top quality gear and in the water, over one hour of snorkeling time is available. Tropical fish are just about everywhere, and the shafts of light, awesome visibility, and sheer drop offs make this site so very unique.

One of the most popular and spectacular drifts is over the outer reef formed by the rim of the volcano which at points is only two or three feet deep and then drops off on the outside to 200 feet. Gliding over the reef gives one the "feeling of flying".

C---Picnic Snorkel Sail

Discover the tranquil beauty of life above and below the waves in this activity. Sailing aboard a 55-foot catamaran, you will bask in the sun, enjoy cool tropical breezes on the craft’s spacious deck, and marvel at the stunning views of Maui’s breathtaking coastline. Hawaii’s warm tropical waters create the ideal aquatic ecosphere for the largest collection of marine life in the world. While snorkeling, you will encounter an endless array of exotic fish in an underwater paradise. From the mischievous dolphins to the playful green sea turtle, there is a vast assortment of ocean life to discover. During the afternoon you will enjoy a tasty barbecue lunch.

we need to choose one.

thanks in advance!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,051 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help me choose our "recreation activity"

Ok..which companies are you talking about!? Where do they leave from? Close to where you are staying? How long? Lunch included? Adveritizing hype gives us no info to help you! They all sound "glorious" in print.

Manila
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: help me choose our "recreation activity"

Hi mamma0233!

honestly, we have no idea which tour company because this activity will be all expense paid.

we just have to choose one.. so what can you recommend?

thanks so much!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,051 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help me choose our "recreation activity"

So sorry you have no more info! Really. Based on the hype...#3, a full on Cat ride, always good, and at least they feed you! Good luck.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help me choose our "recreation activity"

(c) because it sounds like its a longer trip with more to do - snorkel, laze on boat(maybe see dolphins), picnic/bbq (perhaps ashore, perhaps not).

For (a) IME kayaking can actually get pretty tiring after a while, you likely wont have a restroom unless there is a "service boat" that follows you, or be able to just chill out on a boat and let someone else do the paddling work if you do get tired. So its probably going to be a much shorter trip than (c).

For (b) you most certainly do NOT "explore the uninhabited island of Molokini" as its barren rock and you arent allowed ashore anyway! What the trip actually is, is a fast boat trip to snorkeling at Molokini.

Edited: 09 May 2011, 16:06
Manila
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: help me choose our "recreation activity"

is Molokini super nice?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help me choose our "recreation activity"

"super nice" ?? Not sure, its a very good dive and snorkel spot but there are equally good ones, many of which wont be as crowded. Its can also be pretty deep, which not everyone will be happy about.

And to reiterate, its all about the sea, you don't go ashore there, its a barren rock nature reserve (for the nesting seabirds)

Manila
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: help me choose our "recreation activity"

thank you so much Joe!

people in my country have this impression that Molokini is a must see when in Hawaii.. we actually chose molokini rafting but we might change it to sailing...

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,043 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help me choose our "recreation activity"

Since your group will be staying iat the in Wailea..the Grand Wailea I think?? Is there a timetable set aside for you paid activity?? morning or afternoon?

The B sounds like it might be blue Water Rafting

http://www.bluewaterrafting.com/

Which company they will use for A?? several in the area

http://www.keliiskayak.com/ or http://www.mauiecotours.com/

there are several more companies.

Activity C..Probably something out of Maalaea Harbor in the afternoon not the Molokini morning sail..the company might have chartered this cat for a special afternoonsail they leave from Makena, http://www.kaikanani.com/ or a company like Four Winds http://www.mauicharters.com/

Hope this helps...We love the fast and furious Blue Water company..but others like the lazy relaxed feel of a fast sail.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,816 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: help me choose our "recreation activity"

There a re lots of people's "must sees" that really are very subjective. Mine are not my husband's even! Just pick what YOU think you will like and if you do, tell your frineds it's a "must-see'! :-)

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,043 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: help me choose our "recreation activity"

NoNoNo I didn't get time to edit