We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
car rental

I have reserved a car on Maui during Jan/Feb from Advantage car rental. Their price for a one month rental is more than $200 cheaper than any other. There have been some negative comments about them on this forum, and I am wondering if I should just spend the extra and deal with another company. What exactly are the problems, or have things maybe improved as a result of the complaints? Thanks for the input.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,549 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental

My dealings with Advantage happened many years ago and on the mainland. They were such that I would never use them again. Treat me like crap just once and I'm outta there!!

vancouver
Level Contributor
180 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental

Don't do it...pay a little extra and avoid the stress and crap that you will have to deal with. They are the worst car rental company.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
47,085 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental

Aloha,

Try: hawaiidiscountcarrental.com

Many people here have used them with great success. They may not have their 2011 rates up yet, but give it a try.

One other note-make sure you are comparing apples to apples..........is Advantage's rate really lower at the end-with all taxes etc. included? Sometimes it's not the deal it seems.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
211 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental

We rented from Advantage in 2008. Only problem was that we reserved an 'Intermediate' sized car and when we got there they didn't have any available. So we had to get the next size up, and of course, pay the difference. The people at the counter there were, how can I say it politely, less than enthused to be there and a bit rude.

I am researching car rentals for September 2011. I found that Dollar has a deal with our credit card company for 10% off. You may want to look into a company that offers those types of discounts based on your needs.

I really don't care what the car looks like or how new it is, as long as it works and fits us and our luggage in it.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental

SnorkelKitty: Why did you have to pay the difference for the larger vehicle when Advantage did not have the car class available that you had reserved????

Canada
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental

Jimbob3ca: Try discounthawaiicarrental as swmarket suggested; I was told that their new rates for 2011 will be in around late November.

Also, try Hertz with Aeroplan code 221417.

Look at costco.com for the car rental codes, if you have a Canadian Costco card. Alamo /Costco is usually the cheapest but not always.

If you decide to use priceline closer to your dates, you have to watch the extra driver fees tacked onto a lot of the rentals (this may or may not matter to you).

My last Hotwire quote didn't seem to include the new $4.50/day tax, watch if the final total looks too low as that $4.50 adds up.

And finally, if the rates are looking too high for the whole time frame, try splitting it into 2wks/2 wks or other variations. You may hit a high week for one of the weeks, which will skew the price for the whole period. If you split the weeks, it may work out cheaper.

Edited: 26 October 2010, 03:56
British Columbia...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental

Thanks for the replies. As far as I can tell, the Advantage quote is about $200 lower including taxes and fees, apples to apples. I am well covered for insurance with my own insurance company, so this is not a factor. Still, it is beginning to seem that there is no advantage to Advantage, unless I am prepared to put up with some hassle.

Good tip from Snorkelkitty, as I have found that my credit card company offers a 10% discount with National and Alamo. The quote for National is within $60 if I drop one car class. Is National much better to deal with?

I will also try the aeroplan code.

Interesting thing too. When I get quotes from companies with outlets off the airport, (Enterprise, Avis) they come out much cheaper (up to $200). Unfortunately, my flight is after hours, so I must factor in a taxi to accomodation, then back to rental next day. Maybe not worth the hassle.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental

The new airport facility tax is $4.50 per day (up from $1 if I recall) so an off airport pick up might be cheaper because of the lack of the higher tax. For a longer term rental, this might or might not be worth it. Taxis are pretty expensive. And the inconvenience factor.

If you could do an off airport pick up and an airport drop off, with no drop fee....

Edited: 26 October 2010, 04:48
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
211 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car rental

I don't know why we had to pay the difference. I didn't think it was fair but the people there just gave me a look and rudely said "well, do you want it or not??". I didn't want to risk losing having a car so we just ended up taking it.

I found on the Dollar rental car site their prices (at least for when we are going next year) are significantly lower than the other places such as Enterprise, National, etc. You may want to check them out. We have used them before (not in Maui) and didn't have any problems. They offer discounts for certain credit cards as well. The website says they are open 5am-11pm. I don't know the hours of other rental places. It would stink to have to pay for a taxi though.

Has anyone had any problems in Maui with Dollar?

Canada
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car rental

SnorkelKitty: We have never, ever had to pay for a car "upgrade" when our originally booked car class was unavailable. That was a load for them to charge you!

Interestingly, the Advantage website lists it as SimplyWheelz, which is/was a subsidiary of Hertz (their cheaper version).

A mock booking on the Advantage website for OGG in Jan/Feb does not include the $4.50/day tax.

* Base Amount

month: 1 month at 636.00 USD

Unlimited Free Miles Included

Rate Code LBMON1

* Additional Items (included in Approximate Total Charges)

Taxes 29.97 USD

Vehicle Licensing Cost Recovery 12.04 USD

Rental Surcharge 84.00 USD

This Rate is Guaranteed

Is this because they are off site? Or will the renter get dinged by this as well at the counter?? And then for the "unavailable" car upgrade?