We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beach for photo op

Modesto
Level Contributor
460 posts
Save Topic
Best beach for photo op

Ok,,,so I have yet another twist to our plans, however a good one! It started off with my idea of having someone other than myself take some shots of us while we are there on the beach at sunset. I'm an amateur/hobbyist photographer, hence I am never in any of our pictures, and I don't want to deal with the tripod/timer method.

It is our 25th anniv, so I thought what the heck!,,,I checked with a couple of local professionals (with the referral from you folks,,thanks:), and my question now is this:

In your opinions, what beaches are the easiest access ( again, hubby is an amputee, me both knee replacements) for a 1/2 to hour photo shoot,,,with the best sunset ( I know it all is!),,less walking/climbing to get near the water?

We are staying in Napili, so would that be the best, or maybe Kapalua, or one of the southern shore beaches ( which I am not familiar with at all )??? Any advise would be appreciated, Mahalo.

Glendale, California
Level Contributor
9 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best beach for photo op

Just north of Napali is Kapalua Beach. Quite beautiful. but access more difficult depending on where you park. But the long over 3 mile stretch of Kannapali beach to the south is amazing and huge. It also can be accessed by parking in public parking of Whalers village. You then can take a wheelchair right to the boardwalk on the beach through Whalers Village shops etc. . You do have to pay for parking though. Kannapali Beach has resorts up against it everywhere. But great photo shoots can be done in resort gardens which anyone can walk through. Westin etc. And then ofcourse the beaches are free along the boardwalk.

California
Level Contributor
6,463 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best beach for photo op

I vote for Kapalua Beach.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
56,480 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best beach for photo op

Aloha,

Deedas, I too would say Kapalua............right now, the sun sets closer to Moloka'i than to Lana'i, so the northern side of the coastline will be more "directly" in the line of sunset. The sun sets just at the southern end of Moloka'i........if you are in Kapalua you'll get wonderful angles towards it.

Ask the photographer for help on the parking. He or she will no doubt be able to give you the shortest and easiest place, given your limits.

Have fun and don't forget to say "Mai Tai"!!!*****

*****Results in 100% proven more effective brilliant smiles than "Cheese"!

Fernandina Beach...
Level Contributor
258 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best beach for photo op

2 yrs ago when I was there I really thought DT Flemming park was really photogenic and easy access from what I can remember. They were shooting a wedding party when I was there so maybe its just the image I have in my head of that beautiful party. I loved the picturesque lifeguard tower & the views of molokai & lanai where amazing. It was a small & quaint beach compared to the big sprawling FL beaches I'm used to.

Modesto
Level Contributor
460 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best beach for photo op

Wow, thanks guys, really! I was leaning towards either Kapalua, Napili, or had even considered Flemming. I've been looking at the portfolios of both photographers with weddings at both beaches,,, beautiful! ,,,Sw,,your info is exactly what I needed as far as the sunset angle, and the time of year. (I've even gone as far as to consider sunset angle when choosing time or year, side of the boat, etc for cruises). Thanks again,,say Mai-Tai! :)

Now, guess what? Hubby says, "as long as we are going to get dressed up (not too much), pay for a photographer,,etc, why not get a priest also and renew our vows!?? Wow,,took me by surprise! ( kind of liked it tho).. So, any advise on Catholic Churches in the area, and do they do this sort of thing?

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
56,480 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best beach for photo op

Aloha,

Deedas, glad we could help! Sounds like the Hubby is really getting into the spirit of this!

Check with the photographer you selected..........the Churches can do it but it wouldn't be usual for a church official to do vow renewals on the beach......though some might..

Edited: 01 August 2010, 07:53
Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
56,480 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best beach for photo op

If you don't mind a Hawaiian spirit instead of a Catholic priest.......check out Reverend Pia......he is a truly spiritual and lovely person.

http://piaaluli.com/services.html

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,009 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best beach for photo op

Kapalua is a wonderful location but the access is tricky with an amputee and someone who has bad knees. There are stairs down to the beach and a walk way that goes a bit downhill. If these don't pose a problem go for it!!

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
56,480 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best beach for photo op

Aloha,

I should have been more specific......I was thinking of the District of Kapalua. MsFuzz is right......Fleming, or even the area by the Ritz might be better.......

California
Level Contributor
6,463 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best beach for photo op

The wind at Flemming beach would'nt do well with a portrait taking. As much as I love the Ritz ,the beach is ALWAYS very windy.