We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving in Maui - too busy?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
269 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Thanksgiving in Maui - too busy?

I've tried searching on past threads but can only trackdown information on Thanksgiving dinner - which would be most excellent to be had in paradise.

We're trying to plan our Maui holiday this year and its come down to a couple of weeks in October or November. November would include Thanksgiving, but my DH hates crowds and would be miserable if it were really busy - plus he's worried about backlog at the airport, etc, etc. If he is miserable, I will be miserable..

Just wondering if Maui is crazy busy around Thanksgiving, or if it is just as wonderful as it always is?

thanks,

Jac

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
754 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanksgiving in Maui - too busy?

Speaking from personal experience on Kauai, thanksgiving might increase occupancy a bit (probably moreso for condos) but other than that, it is still a pretty quiet time of the year.

United States
Level Contributor
2,540 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanksgiving in Maui - too busy?

We were there until 11/16 last year. It was dead. So, I think even if a bunch of people came just for thanksgiving it wouldn't get THAT busy.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,382 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanksgiving in Maui - too busy?

It's not a busy time of year on Maui in my experience. We've often had guests who want to stay *before* or *after* Thanksgiving, but they want to be home for the holiday itself. The early-December dates are often hard to fill too.

Edited: 05 February 2010, 06:45
st Louis
Level Contributor
233 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanksgiving in Maui - too busy?

We were there the week of Thanksgiving this past year. We had the Road to Hana practically to ourselves. It did not seem overly crowded to us but do not have much to compare it to. Only there one other time and that was in JUne. Be sure to reserve your car ahead of time though. It seemed as though they did run out of cars.

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
648 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thanksgiving in Maui - too busy?

I was there during Thanksgiving. It was fine. There were plenty of people there, but I had no problem going to restaurants. We got there early for the brunch on Thanksgiving Day at Swan Court at the Hyatt. Good thing we did because about 10 minutes later, the people were lined up waiting to get in. Other than that, it was no problem. Same problem that you would find anywhere on Thanksgiving day.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
269 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thanksgiving in Maui - too busy?

thanks very much everyone - we've decided to go to Maui in November, thanks for all the great feedback!

Maui
Level Contributor
119 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thanksgiving in Maui - too busy?

Actually Maui on Thanksgiving is quite a bit busier than the rest of the month, especially the Kaanapali area. The Maui Invitational basketball tournament goes on that week up in Lahaina and is quite a big deal for us here and brings a lot of people out here along with the other families traveling over the holiday. The two weeks after Thanksgiving seem to be some of the slowest of the year. Go then or if you do decide to come during Thanksgiving you might want to stay in South Maui.

8. Re: Thanksgiving in Maui - too busy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2010, 14:17